    Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.

    Thanks in advance
    Kiran

    Kiran, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Hi Kiran,

    Thank you for using Microsoft MSDN managed newsgroup.

    Would you please tell me how do you deploy your web service onto the
    Windows 2003 Server? Is it possible for you to try to create a web service
    on the Windows 2003 Server? Please try to test the following sample on the
    Windows 2003 server. Can you reproduce the same error?

    HOW TO: Build and Use XML Web Services by Using Visual Studio .NET
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315935

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 25, 2003

  3. Kiran,

    I would recommend verifying your IIS configs; make sure the necessary
    site/vroot is established.

    Cheers,

    John
    http://www.bristowe.com/

    John Bristowe, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Kiran

    Marco Neri Guest

    Try to call "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" from Visual studio .net 2003 Command
    prompt.
    Bye

    Marco.

    Marco Neri, Oct 25, 2003
  5. "Kiran" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
    > service for tesing purpose. This runs well on windows2000
    > machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows 2003
    > server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
    > IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )
    >
    > Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
    > apps) run well on this machine.
    >
    > Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.

    By default, IIS does not allow you to run anything (secure mode)...

    you need to configure IIS to run ASP.NET so go to administrative tools,
    configure this computer, and enable IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages
    (html)

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Oct 26, 2003
  6. Kiran

    Kiran Guest

    Hi Jacob,
    Thanks for your reply

    I created the web service same way as the sample and
    deployed on 2000 server by creating the virtual directory
    and pointing to the folder containing related files, it
    worked fine
    If I do the same thing on windows 2003 server machine it
    does not work
    Do I have to do some thing with IIS setting specifically
    for win 2003 server if YES what kind of setting I need to
    do

    Thanks in advance
    Kiran

    us;315935

    >Best regards,
    >
    >Jacob Yang
    >Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >Get Secure! ¨C www.microsoft.com/security
    >This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and

    confers no rights.

    Kiran, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Kiran

    Guest Guest

    Hi
    Thnaks for the reply
    Can you be more specific as where exactly can I enable
    IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages(under which tab in
    IIS manager console).

    Thanks
    Kiran

    Guest, Oct 27, 2003
  8. Kiran

    Kiran Guest

    Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    I tried it but did not help

    Kiran

    Kiran, Oct 27, 2003
  9. Kiran

    Kiran Guest

    Hi

    I can access the html page succefully from the vroot
    but not the actual asmx file which has a simple hello
    world method in it

    Kiran

    Kiran, Oct 27, 2003
  10. Hi Kiran,

    Based on my research and experience, the following Knowledge Base article
    is useful to you. Please refer to it carefully.

    HOW TO: Enable and Disable Dynamic Content in IIS 6.0
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315122
    "...
    By default, when Internet Information Services (IIS) is installed on any
    version of the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, IIS only serves static
    content (HTML). When you request dynamic content, such as Active Server
    Pages (ASP) or ASP.NET pages, you receive one of the following error
    messages:

    HTTP Error 404 - File Not Found
    -or-

    HTTP Error 404- File or Directory not found
    To permit IIS to serve other types of content, the administrator must
    unlock this content in the Web service extensions node in the IIS
    management console. To do this, either enable a pre-existing Web service
    extension or add a new Web service extension.
    ..."

    Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 28, 2003
  11. > Thnaks for the reply
    > Can you be more specific as where exactly can I enable
    > IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages(under which tab in
    > IIS manager console).

    Look for the node called "Web Service Extensions", at the same level as "Web
    Sites" and "Application Pools".

    --
    Tomas Restrepo

    Tomas Restrepo \(MVP\), Oct 28, 2003
  12. Kiran

    Kiran Guest

    Hi Jacob,
    Your suggestion really helped me.
    It was the issue with Web services extension it was
    disabled(I think by default) for ASP.net
    I enabled it and it started working.

    Thanks
    Kiran

    Kiran, Oct 28, 2003