Web services are not working on win2003 server Enterprise edition

Kiran

Hi
I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
service for tesing purpose. This runs well on windows2000
machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows 2003
server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )

Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
apps) run well on this machine.

Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.

Thanks in advance
Kiran

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Kiran,

Thank you for using Microsoft MSDN managed newsgroup.

Would you please tell me how do you deploy your web service onto the
Windows 2003 Server? Is it possible for you to try to create a web service
on the Windows 2003 Server? Please try to test the following sample on the
Windows 2003 server. Can you reproduce the same error?

HOW TO: Build and Use XML Web Services by Using Visual Studio .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315935

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Marco Neri

Try to call "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" from Visual studio .net 2003 Command
prompt.
Bye

Marco.

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Kiran said:
Hi
I have created a simple "Hello world" ASP.NET web
service for tesing purpose. This runs well on windows2000
machines but if I deploy in the same way onto Windows 2003
server enterprise edition it does not work!!.
IE throws The page cannot be found (HTTP Error 404 )

Other .Net applications(like console apps and Form based
apps) run well on this machine.

Is there anything I need to take care on this platform.
By default, IIS does not allow you to run anything (secure mode)...

you need to configure IIS to run ASP.NET so go to administrative tools,
configure this computer, and enable IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages
(html)

Kiran

Hi Jacob,
Thanks for your reply

I created the web service same way as the sample and
deployed on 2000 server by creating the virtual directory
and pointing to the folder containing related files, it
worked fine
If I do the same thing on windows 2003 server machine it
does not work
Do I have to do some thing with IIS setting specifically
for win 2003 server if YES what kind of setting I need to
do

Thanks in advance
Kiran

Guest

Hi
Thnaks for the reply
Can you be more specific as where exactly can I enable
IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages(under which tab in
IIS manager console).

Thanks
Kiran

Kiran

Hi

I can access the html page succefully from the vroot
but not the actual asmx file which has a simple hello
world method in it

Kiran

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Kiran,

Based on my research and experience, the following Knowledge Base article
is useful to you. Please refer to it carefully.

HOW TO: Enable and Disable Dynamic Content in IIS 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315122
"...
By default, when Internet Information Services (IIS) is installed on any
version of the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, IIS only serves static
content (HTML). When you request dynamic content, such as Active Server
Pages (ASP) or ASP.NET pages, you receive one of the following error
messages:

HTTP Error 404 - File Not Found
-or-

HTTP Error 404- File or Directory not found
To permit IIS to serve other types of content, the administrator must
unlock this content in the Web service extensions node in the IIS
management console. To do this, either enable a pre-existing Web service
extension or add a new Web service extension.
..."

Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Tomas Restrepo \(MVP\)

Thnaks for the reply
Can you be more specific as where exactly can I enable
IIS for ASp.NET and for static pages(under which tab in
IIS manager console).

Look for the node called "Web Service Extensions", at the same level as "Web
Sites" and "Application Pools".

Kiran

Hi Jacob,
Your suggestion really helped me.
It was the issue with Web services extension it was
disabled(I think by default) for ASP.net
I enabled it and it started working.

Thanks
Kiran

kiran