Web Services called directly not working

tshad

I am playing with web Services and soap and in the article I am using I
created a page:

<%@ WebService Language="c#" Class="FirstWebService" %>

using System;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Services;

public class FirstWebService {

[WebMethod]
public string HelloWorld(string lcName) {
return "Hello World, " + lcName;
}

[WebMethod]
public decimal AddNumbers(decimal lnNumber1, decimal lnNumber2) {
return lnNumber1 + lnNumber2;
}

/*

[WebMethod]

public DateTime GetServerTime() {

return DateTime.Now;

} */

If I call http://localhost/FirstWebService.asmx, I get the services test
windows fine.

But if I do:
http://localhost/FirstWebService.asmx/AddNumbers?lnNumbers1=10&lnNumber2=20

I get an error:
Request format is unrecognized.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Request format is
unrecognized.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Request format is unrecognized.]
System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type
type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response) +388
System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext
context, String verb, String url, String filePath) +94
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +699
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
+95
completedSynchronously) +173

What is missing?

Thanks,

Tom

Martin Kulov

tshad said:
I am playing with web Services and soap and in the article I am using I
created a page:

If I call http://localhost/FirstWebService.asmx, I get the services test
windows fine.

But if I do:
http://localhost/FirstWebService.asmx/AddNumbers?lnNumbers1=10&lnNumber2=20

I get an error:
Request format is unrecognized.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Request format is
unrecognized.
What is missing?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

you can issue GET request only from the localhost by default for debugging
purposes only. Using GET requests in production environment is considered
insecure due to some XSS problems.
Still if you need to enable it use the following configuration in
web.config:

<webServices>
<protocols>
<add name="HttpGet"/>