Web services faults and WS-specific newsgroups or mailing lists?

Ian Graham

Does anyone know of technical mailing lists that focus on both Web
services and XML technologies?

In a project I am currently involved with, we are building a bunch of
services (provided by Websphere, and consumed by .NET and Websphere/Java
clients), and are tring to define a generic Web services Fault
architecture spanning all these services. However, we can't find good
XML patterns (for representing the <details> returned in a Fault) that
are implementable in the client and server code. In particular, we'd
like to return a 'datavalidation' fault that references, for example via
XPath expressions, the fields in the request that were invalid (and
returns enumerated error codes along with the locations).

That's easy to express in XML, but it's pretty well non-implementable.
THe issue seems to be that the Web services toolkits on the clients and
servers don't really understand the XML 'class' defined by the XML
schema for the fault <details> content -- they only understand their own
internal object models, defined by the tooling.

Thus there is no shared 'object model' the code at either end can talk
to. The workaround for data validation errors is to echo back the
request, decorating the tree with validation flags attached to each
node. This is ugly, and (for large messages) horribly inefficient.

So I'm hoping to find others who have worked through this type of
problem, to see if anyone has come up with some better ideas.
Unfortunatley I also only have usenet access in the evenings -- the
project work is for a commercial firm, and they do not have NNTP behind
the firewall.

Best --