Web Services question

David Thielen

Hi;

I am designing a Web Services interface for my reporting package.
Basically the package has 2 input files and a couple of settings and
generates an output file. For the architecture of this I have a couple
of questions:

1) If I want C# as well as java apps able to easily interface with the
service, is JAX-RPC the way to go?

2a) As I think this through I think the way to do this is to have a
single call that passes across all input settings and data and that
one call then returns the output data. However, this feels kludgy as
it will have on the order of 20 parameters being passed across, many
of which will have default values. It's a small amount of data for all
the parameters so it's not a performance hit but 20 parameters in a
method feels wrong.

2b) The alternative is to create a session connection and pass each
paramater across seperately for those that have non-default values.
That would look cleaner but seems to me to require a lot more
overhead.

3) I have 2 hash maps I need to pass across. However, it says for C#
to not pass hash maps. Any suggestions on the best way to pass the
data in hash maps?

thanks - dave

david@[email protected]
Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com