    caller and called are on the same server?

    Thanks
    Pablo
    ptome, Dec 13, 2006

  2. ptome

    Andrew Brook Guest

    Hi Pablo,

    I'm also relatively new to webservices, but i would say that if your
    webservice is performing a processor intensive task then this is undoubtably
    going to effect the performance of the service. However, the webservice
    should be multi-threaded (unless there is a single threaded bottleneck
    somewhere along the line) therefor other requests should still get handled
    simultaneously.

    Linking web services will also have a cost as the calls are serialized to
    xml etc. I personally don't think theres anything wrong with doing this,
    unless of course the application demands higher performance.

    Again, in terms of just using the underlying DLL, it depends on whether
    there is any further use to have the business logic inside a web service,
    perhaps if you plan on exposing the logic externally at some point in the
    future.

    A project i worked on recently demanded a distributed architecture (only
    within the company network though). Because we did not need to expose the
    data to clients or other 3rd parties, we chose to use .NET remoting instead.
    The approach we used allowed our solution to be more scalable than hosting
    all the components on one machine (even though this is still possible with
    ..NET remoting and webservices).

    Hope my comments help, as i say, i've not been using these technologies for
    very long so someone else may be able to offer further insight,

    Andrew

    "ptome" <> wrote in message
    Hi, I´m new to web services and have some questions. I´d like someone
    tell me where I can find some answers

    * If I made a lot of calls to a web service and each call takes a lot
    of time, does the web service decrease its performance?. If it is true,
    is a good idea to move some functions to a new web service?

    * If I have several web services, does exists performance decrease if
    they are called to each other?

    * Is it a good idea to call the dll of the web service where resides my
    business logic instead calling the web service, considering that the

    Andrew Brook, Dec 13, 2006

  3. ptome

    ptome Guest

    Lot of thanks Andrew, your comments were very useful for me.
    Pablo

    Andrew Brook ha escrito:

    ptome, Dec 13, 2006