    Linux Server. Can I restrict access to the Web Service based on the IP
    Address or MAC Address? Or is there a better solution?

    Thanks.

    C, May 22, 2006

  2. C

    Guest

    Hello C,
    Yes Web Services were designed to be communicated to from virtually any
    platform. There is a governing body of standards which defines how Web
    Services are communicated to. You have several methods to communicate such as
    XML/ HTTP GET/POST and Soap. There are numerous CPAN perl addons that can be
    used to easily consume soap web services.

    yes. If your web service will be run off of IIS then you can easily restrict
    access to the web service and either a) require authentication or b) setup so
    that only specific ips may access that web service.

    Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

    "C" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am brand new to Web Services.
    >
    > I want to write a Web Service which will be called from a Perl Script
    > running on a Linux Server.
    >
    > I have 2 questions.
    >
    > 1) Can a Web Service be called from a Perl Script or some other language
    > running on a Linux Server.
    > 2) In terms of Security I want the Web Service to be only called from this
    > Linux Server. Can I restrict access to the Web Service based on the IP
    > Address or MAC Address? Or is there a better solution?
    >
    > Thanks.

    , May 22, 2006