Web Services - Security

I am brand new to Web Services.

I want to write a Web Service which will be called from a Perl Script
running on a Linux Server.

I have 2 questions.

1) Can a Web Service be called from a Perl Script or some other language
running on a Linux Server.
2) In terms of Security I want the Web Service to be only called from this
Linux Server. Can I restrict access to the Web Service based on the IP
Address or MAC Address? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks.

recoil

Hello C,
Yes Web Services were designed to be communicated to from virtually any
platform. There is a governing body of standards which defines how Web
Services are communicated to. You have several methods to communicate such as
XML/ HTTP GET/POST and Soap. There are numerous CPAN perl addons that can be
used to easily consume soap web services.

yes. If your web service will be run off of IIS then you can easily restrict
access to the web service and either a) require authentication or b) setup so
that only specific ips may access that web service.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.