Web services stop working intermittently.....

chrisexv6

Recently been having an issue pop up with a web service thats been
running fine for months.

The service in question takes calls from our public web server, then
logs data to a database server behind a firewall. The code has been
in place (and working fine) for months. Now we have a slightly larger
load on the server (nothing it shouldnt be able to handle) and we're
noticing the service just starts randomly returning random Internal
Server Error (Error 500). Ive enabled network tracing and can make
the same call locally on the machine running the web service, and it
returns data perfectly fine.

This is all running framework 2.0

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Chris

John Saunders [MVP]

chrisexv6 said:
Recently been having an issue pop up with a web service thats been
running fine for months.

The service in question takes calls from our public web server, then
logs data to a database server behind a firewall. The code has been
in place (and working fine) for months. Now we have a slightly larger
load on the server (nothing it shouldnt be able to handle) and we're
noticing the service just starts randomly returning random Internal
Server Error (Error 500). Ive enabled network tracing and can make
the same call locally on the machine running the web service, and it
returns data perfectly fine.

This is all running framework 2.0

Any ideas?

What's it say in the event log?

chrisexv6

What's it say in the event log?

Event log just shows "operation timed out". I dont have access to the
logs right now, so I cant tell if the errors in the network trace
correspond to the "operation timed out" messages in Event Viewer.

Basically it looks like the web service call is never returning to the
web server. Keep in mind that at no time does the webservice stop
responding locally (I can use the asmx page on the server itself and
returns fine).

Is there a way to access the asmx page remotely (from the web server)
and make a call to the service? I know if I try now I just get a
message saying the methods can only be invoked locally........but if
there is a way to try it from the web server side I can at least try
to figure out if the disconnect is in my code calling the service or
the service itself.

-Chris