Web Services: The operation has timed-out

Joško Šugar

I have a data transfer between an c# application and web service. The
application is in local network and connects to the internet thru a
gateway. Connection is ADSL.
Web service is on the remote server.

Timeuots are configured as follows:
local timeout: <add key="WebService.Timeout" value="300000" />
remote timeout: <httpRuntime executionTimeout="300"
maxRequestLength="10000"/>

Strange thing is that data transfer sometimes work and sometimes not.
When it doesn't work, it throws an exception of type
'System.Net.WebException' and message is 'The operation has timed-out'.
And it doesn't depend on amount of data. Data is less than 50kB.

This is the exception:
Type : System.Net.WebException, System, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Message : The operation has timed-out.
Source : System.Web.Services
Help link :
Response :
TargetSite : System.Net.WebResponse GetWebResponse(System.Net.WebRequest)
Stack Trace : at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
request)
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest
request)
at
methodName, Object[] parameters)
at Netgen.prikaz.local.netgen.bob.Service1.Dostupno(Int32 Izvedba)
at Netgen.prikaz.frmPrijenosWeb.button1_Click_1(Object sender,
EventArgs e)

Then I go to another computer and start the transfer and it works, then
I get back to the computer where error occured and transfer timeouts.

Can anybody help me?

S. Justin Gengo

Josko,

What you're experiencing sounds like there is a firewall configured for
stealth mode (no response to a request not specifically allowed). I would
check that that the computer experiencing the timeout has permission to
access the webservice in any existing firewall. I think if you check the
firewall settings for the other machine it must be allowed.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer