    Thanks.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Aug 8, 2005

  2. The First question which come to my mind is that,what type of Clients are
    you addressing? Are they pure DotNet sort of clients or a combination of
    different platform would be served by your service layer?

    The second question is that Is speed an issue or not? How about the
    security? Web services are still in evloving peroid,but they are
    platform-nuatral where remoting is more bound to DotNet.

    HTH,
    Reza
    http://blogs.devhorizon.com

    Reza Alirezaei, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Reza Alirezaei" <> wrote in

    > The First question which come to my mind is that,what type of Clients
    > are you addressing? Are they pure DotNet sort of clients or a
    > combination of different platform would be served by your service
    > layer?

    Primarily .NET clients. However, it *would* be nice for the interface to
    be totally generic... but I don't see that happening.

    I could abstract a lot of the features into a DLL, then build both a Web
    Service and a Remoting interface.

    > The second question is that Is speed an issue or not? How about the
    > security? Web services are still in evloving peroid,but they are
    > platform-nuatral where remoting is more bound to DotNet.

    Yes, speed is important, I'll be transferring live information back and
    forth between the client/server. Security too - come to think of it,
    hosting in IIS would be nice since I can secure it via SSL + password
    authentication.

    Does remoting in IIS support two way communications? I've built regular
    remoting apps (standalone) but never in IIS.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Lucas,

    > Primarily .NET clients. However, it *would* be nice for the interface to
    > be totally generic... but I don't see that happening.

    As you mentioned ,a combination of a webserice and a remoting interface in
    client side will do.Even if later you need to make newer versions of your
    assembly ,then no problem ,you can use a technique called assembly binding
    redirect
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...uide/html/cpconAssemblyVersionRedirection.asp)
    to make sure that your clients are always pointing to the newest version of
    your remoting objects.

    > Yes, speed is important, I'll be transferring live information back and
    > forth between the client/server. Security too - come to think of it,
    > hosting in IIS would be nice since I can secure it via SSL + password
    > authentication.

    You can always use the BinaryFormatter with HttpChannel to serialize your
    objects into binary format (I think it is an alternative to using TCP ports
    in *pure* Remoting apps(Not hosted in IIS)). This might gives you a heads up
    to choose your path
    better:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ide/html/cpconRemotingExampleHostingInIIS.asp

    > Does remoting in IIS support two way communications? I've built regular
    > remoting apps (standalone) but never in IIS.

    I guess for any remoting app ,the first thing you need to choose is a
    channel.The choice is HttpChannel or TcpChannel or probably your own
    channel.AFAIK both of these channels implement IChannelReceiver and
    IChannelSender which means that there is a two way communication in both.The
    only thing you got to do is to hook up your objects appropriately to the
    channels and everything should be fine.

    Have you had the chance to look at WSE 2.0?

    Hope this helps,
    Reza
    http://blogs.devhorizon.com

    Reza Alirezaei, Aug 9, 2005