Web Session Handling

Zbigniew Kowalski

Hi!
I'm completely newbie in Ruby and I need to create sort of article
about how Ruby is different from the PHP about managing session.
Would you recommend me one good good article describing how Ruby
manage session ID from the perspective of client (browser) and server?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Robert Klemme

I'm completely newbie in Ruby and I need to create sort of article
about how Ruby is different from the PHP about managing session.
Would you recommend me one good good article describing how Ruby
manage session ID from the perspective of client (browser) and server?

Ruby does not do any web session handling. It completely depends on the
framework you use how it's done. The two most common approaches to
identify sessions I am aware of are

1. URL rewriting (i.e. a session parameter is added)
2. Cookies

I believe nowadays most frameworks use cookies.

Then there are various mechanisms to secure sessions

- login via various means
- allowing requests for a particular session only from a single IP address

Someone else can probably better give an overview. But I guess you can
as well research on the web: look up Ruby web frameworks, check how they
each deal with sessions, write your article. :)

Kind regards

robert

Zbigniew Kowalski

Thank you for answer - just started reading about Session Management
in Ruby on Rails.

Kind regards,