Web Site Administration Tool: Unable to Connect to Database

ZZ_Scarab

Hi,

<I posted this on the microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
newsgroup but before I got a reply this newsgroup has become unavailable!!
So I'm posting it here again. Sorry for the inconveneice.>

I tried using the ASP.Net Web Site Administration Tool to setup security for
a web site I'm creating using VS 2005 C#. When clicking on the Security tab,
I get the error message: "Unable to connect to SQL Server database". I then
created the ASPNETDB database with the ASPNET_REGSQL utility in the
Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework\v2.0.50727 and can now see the database in
SQL Server Management Studio (I'm running SQL Server 2005). I tried the Web
Site Administration Tool and got the same error. It is interesting that the
tool does not ask for the server name or the database. Is it getting this
info from some setting setup by the ASPNET_REGSQL utility when creating the
ASPNETDB database?

I have no problems connecting from my application or VS proper to the
database, only from the Web Site Administration Tool. What am I missing?

Thanks for any pointers.

ZZ_Scarab

Another quick question: I couldn't get the ASPNET_REGSQL tool to build the
ASPNETDB database in my App_Data folder so I can separate out the different
web site databases. How can I get it to do that? And I suspect that I would
need to use a different name for the database since no two databases can
have the same name on the same server in SQL Server. If so, what would I
need to change in order to reference this changed database name?

Thanks