Web Site Administration

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Herb, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to use forms authentication and the new automated login process
    in VS2005. My development machine is WINXP but my database is on WS2003 under
    SQL Server 2005.

    I modified my web.config to include the following:
    <connectionStrings>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
    <add name="LocalSqlServer"
    connectionString="Server=TSSSRV01;Database=WYWH.mdf;uid=x;pwd=x;Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

    and I've run the aspnet_regsql.exe to create the appropriate tables in the
    WYWH database.

    However, when I run Web Site Administration and click on the Security tab I
    get the following error:
    Cannot open database requested in login 'WYWH.mdf'. Login fails. Login
    failed for user 'x'.

    Of course I have a real userid and pswd that I set up under SQL 2005 on
    WS2003.

    I tested access to this from WinXP by creating a UDL to access the database
    with that userid/pswd and it works fine when tested.

    Is my train of thought on this issue correct in that I want to store the
    Membership and Login information in this database and not in the ASPNETDB.MDF
    database?

    If so, is the format of my "Server=" clause in Connectionstring correct?
    TSSSRV01 is the name of my server which I can ping and get a response from.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you, Herb
    Herb, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Herb

    MikeS Guest

    Maybe try setting up the database connection in VS server explorer and
    copy the working connection string from its properties.
    MikeS, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Mike, I have to apologize to you sir. When I first read your reply my first
    thought was "That's pretty stupid, how is this going to help." But then I
    tried your suggestion and it actually worked.

    Thanks so much for the assist. It certainly gets me past this big curve in
    the road!

    Herb

    Herb, Jan 27, 2006