Web site app for managing "lists"

Discussion in 'HTML' started by OccasionalFlyer, Mar 11, 2010.

  1. This is not a question precisely about HTML but I'm hoping that, since
    authors of HTML generally are creating or maintaining pages for web
    sites that I might get some information. I am the new webmaster for
    the web site of a non-profit academic organization (read: I do this
    for free as a volunteer). The president of the organization wants to
    add a place to the site that lists recent publications by members. We
    used to do this in print but stopped, I guess because we wanted to
    save trees. So I need a tool that will a) let me enter a member's
    name in an alphabetical way (so not just the next line in a page); b)
    list publications for this person (complete bibliographic
    information); and c) let users, any user browsing the web, be able to
    look at this material but not change it. In my ideal world, this tool
    (I'm hoping not to try to maintain raw HTML for this) would allow a
    user to enter all the information him- or herself and it would be put
    in the right spot, rather than sending me the info in email and me
    having to enter it all.

    Does anyone know of a tool that can be added to a web site to do
    most/all of this for me? One of my colleague's suggested Drupal but
    he noted that it would take a while to learn enough to be able to add
    it to a web site and use it. I'm willing to sacrifice sophistication
    for simplicity of adding it to the site and using it over a powerful
    tool that wil take me three months of evenings to figure out. This
    might be like Zotero in that it accepts input for the appropriate
    fields but it needs to have separate lists for n number of members.
    Thanks.

    Ken
    OccasionalFlyer, Mar 11, 2010

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed OccasionalFlyer <>
    writing in news:8531c131-28b6-4fec-b7ff-
    :

    > This is not a question precisely about HTML but I'm hoping that, since
    > authors of HTML generally are creating or maintaining pages for web
    > sites that I might get some information. I am the new webmaster for
    > the web site of a non-profit academic organization (read: I do this
    > for free as a volunteer). The president of the organization wants to
    > add a place to the site that lists recent publications by members. We
    > used to do this in print but stopped, I guess because we wanted to
    > save trees. So I need a tool that will a) let me enter a member's
    > name in an alphabetical way (so not just the next line in a page); b)
    > list publications for this person (complete bibliographic
    > information); and c) let users, any user browsing the web, be able to
    > look at this material but not change it. In my ideal world, this tool
    > (I'm hoping not to try to maintain raw HTML for this) would allow a
    > user to enter all the information him- or herself and it would be put
    > in the right spot, rather than sending me the info in email and me
    > having to enter it all.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a tool that can be added to a web site to do
    > most/all of this for me? One of my colleague's suggested Drupal but
    > he noted that it would take a while to learn enough to be able to add
    > it to a web site and use it. I'm willing to sacrifice sophistication
    > for simplicity of adding it to the site and using it over a powerful
    > tool that wil take me three months of evenings to figure out. This
    > might be like Zotero in that it accepts input for the appropriate
    > fields but it needs to have separate lists for n number of members.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    It's really pretty basic. You need some server side scripting and a
    database. PHP and MySQL should do fine for you. All you have to do is
    query the database and loop though the records.

    Here's a select query for you:
    SELECT author, publication, href, added FROM authors ORDER BY author

    Here's an insert query for you:
    INSERT INTO authors (author, publication, href, added) VALUES
    ('Charles Dickens','A Tale of Two Cities','It was the best of times, it
    was the worst of times','http://example.com',CURDATE())

    The good thing about doing this is that you will learn something that
    you can use later on, and charge for it.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 11, 2010

  3. OccasionalFlyer

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:

    > This is not a question precisely about HTML but I'm hoping that, since
    > authors of HTML generally are creating or maintaining pages for web
    > sites that I might get some information. I am the new webmaster for
    > the web site of a non-profit academic organization (read: I do this
    > for free as a volunteer). The president of the organization wants to
    > add a place to the site that lists recent publications by members. We
    > used to do this in print but stopped, I guess because we wanted to
    > save trees. So I need a tool that will a) let me enter a member's
    > name in an alphabetical way (so not just the next line in a page); b)
    > list publications for this person (complete bibliographic
    > information); and c) let users, any user browsing the web, be able to
    > look at this material but not change it. In my ideal world, this tool
    > (I'm hoping not to try to maintain raw HTML for this) would allow a
    > user to enter all the information him- or herself and it would be put
    > in the right spot, rather than sending me the info in email and me
    > having to enter it all.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a tool that can be added to a web site to do
    > most/all of this for me? One of my colleague's suggested Drupal but
    > he noted that it would take a while to learn enough to be able to add
    > it to a web site and use it. I'm willing to sacrifice sophistication
    > for simplicity of adding it to the site and using it over a powerful
    > tool that wil take me three months of evenings to figure out. This
    > might be like Zotero in that it accepts input for the appropriate
    > fields but it needs to have separate lists for n number of members.
    > Thanks.

    How about letting some self-organising force do most of the work?
    You get a name list (with email addresses) of all the members,
    you put it in alphabetical order by name, you send out a doc of
    this (its structure to be described later by me or others) in an
    email *just to the first on the list*, asking this party to add
    to this list *in certain prescribed ways*. They should then
    email-pass it on to the next person on the list, the last person
    should return it to you.

    You get back, eventually, hopefully, if you set it out right, a
    comma separated text document or one that can easily be converted
    into one with simple Find & Replace function in your editor. This
    can then be put onto a server. It will have a name like
    "publications.csv".

    An html page with, say, a name like publications.php can then be
    made that has some php in it that grabs this csv and (server
    side) converts it into an html table.

    In spite of a few hiccups that could be sorted, this might well
    save you a lot of time.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 11, 2010
  4. OccasionalFlyer

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 11 Mar, 02:27, OccasionalFlyer <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a tool that can be added to a web site to do
    > most/all of this for me?

    I'd suggest MediaWiki, the wiki engine behind Wikipedia.

    This is a great big pile of code, but it installs easily and without
    much effort on your part. Site-specific customisation, management and
    presentation skinning is pretty easy and a well-worn path with lots of
    guides to follow.

    You now have a tool which is a free-format CMS (content management
    system) with an outward facing editing interface that's closely linked
    to the viewing interface. You can lock this down so that only known
    users can either view or edit (sounds like public open reading,
    controlled user list editing and no ability to self-create new
    accounts would be what you need.)

    Unlike earlier CMS, editing with a wiki looks a lot like reading with
    a wiki. Most other non-wiki CMS, even blog engines, have a big
    separation between "adding stories to the newsbase" and "reading the
    collected newspaper".

    So you now have a powerful wiki at the disposal of your organisation.
    That's a good thing - there's a lot you can do with it.

    As to handling lists of publications, then I'd look at MediaWiki
    templates. This is how citation is handled on Wikipedia. You fill in
    the slots for authors, titles, even DOIs and the formatted output is
    done for you.

    For auto-generation of sorted lists, look at categorization in
    MediaWiki and the DPL (Dynamic Page Listing) extension. You can do a
    _lot_ with this (although it's a little server hungry, so not used on
    Wikipedia).

    This is a complex solution. But it's complexity that you download for
    free, rather than having to build yourself. Total cost of ownership is
    still low.

    (and buy my MediaWiki book!)
    Andy Dingley, Mar 11, 2010
  5. Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope that the ISP will allow me to
    add a program like this.

    OccasionalFlyer, Mar 19, 2010