web site bin folder

Karl Seguin [MVP]

I'm about 99.9855343% sure that the "bin" folder is hard-coded (not sure
why) into .NET.

You're only other alternative might be to place the DLL's into the GAC..but
that's a whole other issue.

Karl

Guest

ok tnx

Karl Seguin said:
I'm about 99.9855343% sure that the "bin" folder is hard-coded (not sure
why) into .NET.

You're only other alternative might be to place the DLL's into the GAC..but
that's a whole other issue.

Karl

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Chaz,

As Karl has mentioned, the ASP.NET web application is a particularly
customized .net clr hoster, and its private assembly resolving path is a
fixed one (the physical sub "bin" dir under the web application's root
directory).

BTW, what are you going to do about the "bin" path? Are you going to let
the ASP.NET application use a shared location(folder) as the private
assembly's resolving path? Based on my experience, though it is not
supported at .net /ASP.NET level, we can consider using the windows NTFS's
symbolic links(hard link) feature to link one physical file directory to
another physical file directory. You can have a look at the "Symbolic
links" feature to see whether it helps you some:

#Symbolic links in Windows
http://www.thierryb.net/site/Symbolic-links-in-Windows.html

There is also a tool from sysinternals site that can help create symbolic
links conveniently.

#Sysinternals Freeware - Junction
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

Regards,