web site bin folder

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=, Jul 11, 2006

  2. Karl Seguin [MVP], Jul 11, 2006

  3. ok tnx

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=, Jul 11, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Y2hheg==?=

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    If you want to make the app to look asssemblies from other folders, you can
    configure that but as Karl said, bin is pretty much hardcoded.

    Specifying an Assembly's Location
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4191fzwb.aspx

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

    Teemu Keiski, Jul 11, 2006
  5. Hi Chaz,

    As Karl has mentioned, the ASP.NET web application is a particularly
    customized .net clr hoster, and its private assembly resolving path is a
    fixed one (the physical sub "bin" dir under the web application's root
    directory).

    BTW, what are you going to do about the "bin" path? Are you going to let
    the ASP.NET application use a shared location(folder) as the private
    assembly's resolving path? Based on my experience, though it is not
    supported at .net /ASP.NET level, we can consider using the windows NTFS's
    symbolic links(hard link) feature to link one physical file directory to
    another physical file directory. You can have a look at the "Symbolic
    links" feature to see whether it helps you some:

    #Symbolic links in Windows
    http://www.thierryb.net/site/Symbolic-links-in-Windows.html

    There is also a tool from sysinternals site that can help create symbolic
    links conveniently.

    #Sysinternals Freeware - Junction
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

    Regards,