Web site can no longer be debugged

Andrew Chalk

On XP I deinstalled and then reinstalled IIS. Now an ASP.Net project that I
had on the site can no longer be debugged. The project settings and
web.config appear to be correct. However, I noticed that it no longer
appears as a virtual directory in IIS Manager. New projects that I create in
Visual Studio do appear as virtual directories. What has gone wrong here and
how do I correct it?

Many thanks.

Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\)

%windir%\System32\inetsrv\iis.msc

Define as VDIR and Application whatever directory you want...

Andrew Chalk

That is just IIS manager. In C:\Inetpub\wwwroot the Properties->web sharing
settings on the project that does not work are the same as on the one that
does.

- A

Juan T. Llibre

re:
That is just IIS manager.

The IIS Manager is *the* tool for managing websites.

Although you can create a virtual directory by using the "web sharing" tab
of the physical directory's properties in Windows Explorer, there's many
other properties which can only be set from the IIS Manager.

To debug an ASP.NET application, you must be an administrator on the
machine that the ASP.NET Web server is running or your name must be
in the Debugger Users group if the ASP.NET worker process is running
under your user account.

Besides checking for obvious mistakes, like not having the ASP.NET account
as a member of the Debugger Users group, review this list of common errors
which prevent you from debugging ASP.NET apps :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306172

Find the error message you're getting, and read the appropiate KB.

If that doesn't solve your problem, here's a list of MSDN articles on debugging:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ebug/html/vxtskdebuggingaspwebapplication.asp

Juan T. Llibre

One more question, Andrew :

re:
On XP I deinstalled and then reinstalled IIS.

Did you reinstall VS.NET after you did that ?
If you didn't, you should.

If you install IIS after VS.NET, there's all sorts of problems
which crop up. IIRC, not being able to debug is one of them.

Some of the problems caused by installing IIS after VS.NET
is installed can be fixed by running aspnet_regiis -i from
the .Net Framework's directory.

There's been lots of reports of problems
continuing to occur after that's done, though.

Reinstalling VS.NET after uninstalling and reinstalling IIS is safer.

Andrew Chalk

I have not. Instead I created a new ASP.NET project and added the old
project's files to that.

I was hoping to avoid a complete re-install but may not be able to.

- Andrew