Web site content determined by login credentials?

Michael Hogan

We are an architectural firm, and we would like to integrate a secure area
with a username and password on our web site that would allow our clients to
view progress information pertinent to their projects. I'm the only guy
here, and I'm more of connection/server guy than a web designer, so please
excuse my ignorance. Any guidance will greatly be appreciated. We're using
Win2k and IIS for a web server, but we will soon be upgrading to Server
2003. I think I can handle the actual content pages, but I'm getting stuck
on how the username relates to the content being viewed and how to pass that
data.

tia,
hogan

Patrice Scribe

Do you have a particular problem or are you after the big picture ?

Generally this is done using a database. For example a database could hold
the list of projects and users as well as each valid (project, user) couple
(assuming a user could take part in multiple projects and a project could be
viewed by multiple users).

When a user is connected on the site, a query retrieves all projects for the
current user (the user identity being a parameter of this query). The page
uses the retrieved information to create the final HTML page that contains
only allowed projects

Patrice

Michael Hogan

I'm looking for the big picture, but you've aswered what i already
suspected. anyway to tie the user names to AD or LDAP?

thanks,
Hogan