Web site critique

Travis Newbury

Neo said:
The main culprit are the photos themselves. They need to be compressed
more, except I can’t stand the dithering. Damn JPEG. If only Flash could
properly digest PNG. :-(

Import the pngs into a swf then dynamically load the swf(s) in your
slide show flash. When ever we need quality images (or transparency) we
do this.

Travis Newbury

Neo said:
The main culprit are the photos themselves. They need to be compressed
more, except I can’t stand the dithering. Damn JPEG. If only Flash could
properly digest PNG. :-(

Import the pngs into a swf then dynamically load the swf(s) in your
slide show flash. When ever we need quality images (or transparency) we
do this.

dorayme

From: Ben Measures said:
There's something seriously wrong with your application if you're
getting dithering. Dithering is only supposed to be performed when you
reduce the number of colours in the image (don't do this).

Perhaps you mean different things to each other by "dithering"...

dorayme

Neo Geshel

Travis said:
Import the pngs into a swf then dynamically load the swf(s) in your
slide show flash. When ever we need quality images (or transparency) we
do this.
Hmmm... three identical posts in under 30 seconds... is Thunderbird
stuttering on you? :)

...Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

Neo Geshel

Ben said:
There's something seriously wrong with your application if you're
getting dithering. Dithering is only supposed to be performed when you
reduce the number of colours in the image (don't do this).

Since you're compressing photo-realistic images, you do not want PNG
unless you want lossless compression (perfect quality over filesize).

TTFN,
Sorry, I meant artifacts, not dithering. I hate artifacts. I hate
lowering the image quality just to get an improvement in file size. I
hate dithering, too, but I haven’t created a GIF in almost two years...

...Geshel
My reply-to is an automatically monitored spam honeypot. Do not use it
unless you want to be blacklisted by SpamCop. Please reply to my first
name at my last name dot org.

Ben Measures

Neo said:
Sorry, I meant artifacts, not dithering. I hate artifacts. I hate
lowering the image quality just to get an improvement in file size. I
hate dithering, too, but I haven’t created a GIF in almost two years...

Sometimes, if I need a JPEG to be a certain filesize but can't stand the
quality, a light blurring before saving works wonders (it's certainly
much better than the alternative). Try it, you may be pleased with the
results.

Hth,