Web site login problems (IE6)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Griff, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    We have a web application that users can use by first authenticating
    themselves via a secure connection (HTTPS/SSL).

    If one goes directly to that secure page then one can log in successfully
    using most browsers (tested with IE6, FireFox & Netscape). These are all
    running on a machine running XP SP2.

    A company using this web application displays the secure logon page
    "embedded" within their corporate site (using Frames). This causes a
    problem.... The logon procedure still works as expected using FireFox or
    Netscape, but does not work using IE6. This has been tested on two
    machines, one running XP sp1 and the other XP sp2.

    The symptom is that after completing the form with the logon credentials,
    the user clicks on the "logon" button and the page appears to refresh itself
    with the form input boxes all blanked.

    I suspect that this is a browser setting that is causing this behaviour, but
    which one I don't know. Someone suggested that setting the security level
    to LOW should fix this, but we of course can't go around suggesting that
    users downgrade their security.

    Does anyone know what the specific issue could be and what acceptable advice
    I could pass on to the end user?

    Many thanks in advance

    Griff

    Griff, Jan 31, 2005

  2. Griff

    McKirahan Guest

    "Griff" <> wrote in message
    > We have a web application that users can use by first authenticating
    > themselves via a secure connection (HTTPS/SSL).
    >
    > If one goes directly to that secure page then one can log in successfully
    > using most browsers (tested with IE6, FireFox & Netscape). These are all
    > running on a machine running XP SP2.
    >
    > A company using this web application displays the secure logon page
    > "embedded" within their corporate site (using Frames). This causes a
    > problem.... The logon procedure still works as expected using FireFox or
    > Netscape, but does not work using IE6. This has been tested on two
    > machines, one running XP sp1 and the other XP sp2.
    >
    > The symptom is that after completing the form with the logon credentials,
    > the user clicks on the "logon" button and the page appears to refresh

    itself
    > with the form input boxes all blanked.
    >
    > I suspect that this is a browser setting that is causing this behaviour,

    but
    > which one I don't know. Someone suggested that setting the security level
    > to LOW should fix this, but we of course can't go around suggesting that
    > users downgrade their security.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the specific issue could be and what acceptable

    advice
    > I could pass on to the end user?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Griff

    Could you try ensuring that your page doesn't run in a frame:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    if (self != top) top.location = "http://{domain}/{page}";
    </script>

    Of course, JavaScript has to be enabled.

    McKirahan, Jan 31, 2005

  3. Griff

    Griff Guest

    > Could you try ensuring that your page doesn't run in a frame:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > if (self != top) top.location = "http://{domain}/{page}";
    > </script>
    >
    > Of course, JavaScript has to be enabled.

    Sorely tempted to [but that the howls of derision from those "requiring" to
    embed it in a frame would be too much to bear].

    Griff, Jan 31, 2005
  4. Griff

    McKirahan Guest

    "Griff" <> wrote in message
    > > Could you try ensuring that your page doesn't run in a frame:
    > >
    > > <script type="text/javascript">
    > > if (self != top) top.location = "http://{domain}/{page}";
    > > </script>
    > >
    > > Of course, JavaScript has to be enabled.

    > Sorely tempted to [but that the howls of derision from those "requiring"

    > embed it in a frame would be too much to bear].

    a) Try it; maybe they won't notice.

    b) Perhaps they would reconsider their use of frames:

    Why Frames Suck (Most of the Time)
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

    Web Commandments: Ten Deadly Sins and How to Overcome Them
    http://www.smartisans.com/articles/web_commandments.aspx

    c) Also, it's your site so they shouldn't make it look like it's part of
    their's. It smacks of content grabbing, a practice that has been widely
    admonished.

    d) Of course, a "company using this web application" is a client which
    likely overrides the above.

    P.S. OEx is telling me that "microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security"
    could not be resolved.

    McKirahan, Jan 31, 2005
  5. "McKirahan" <> wrote in message
    > P.S. OEx is telling me that
    > "microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security" could not be resolved.

    It's a new group, added a couple weeks ago. Go to Tools | Newsgroups -
    this would cause OE to sync the group list with the server. If you still
    don't see the group, go to Tools | Newsgroups and click Reset List.

    While you are at it, go to Tools | Options | General and consider
    checking "Notify me if there are any new newsgroups" option.
    --
    With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

    necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
    land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
    overhead. -- RFC 1925

    Igor Tandetnik, Feb 1, 2005
  6. "McKirahan" <> wrote in message

    > P.S. OEx is telling me that
    > "microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security" could not be resolved.

    In OE go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
    Set up an account for this news server:

    msnews.microsoft.com

    The server is free and does not require you to logon. This news server
    carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft products and keeps
    messages at least 30 days.

    To set up OE for news reading see

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com
    Protect your PC

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE, Feb 1, 2005