    It will be able to run off a config file, changed by a web site admin
    interface.

    -Max
    msnews.microsoft.com, Jun 3, 2004

  2. "msnews.microsoft.com" <> wrote in message
    > I have a VB.NET web application using SQL Server. I need to do weekly and
    > monthly processing on that database that will probably require a couple
    > hours to complete, so having this run in the web application is probably

    not
    > a good idea.
    >
    > I'd like to keep this all in the VS.NET environment (VB.NET). Should I be
    > using a Windows Service, or a Windows Application?
    >
    > It will be able to run off a config file, changed by a web site admin
    > interface.

    It doesn't really matter how you do this. It depends on your environment and
    your comfort levels.

    VS.NET makes it easy to create a Windows Service, so you could do it that
    way. You could also create a console application and run it as a scheduled
    task. I've done both, and they both work well.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail
    John Saunders, Jun 3, 2004

  3. msnews.microsoft.com

    John Oakes Guest

    Why don't you just create a DTS package to do this? I know you want to keep
    it in VS.NET environment, but there are a lot of advantages to just using
    DTS.

    -John Oakes

    John Oakes, Jun 3, 2004
  4. msnews.microsoft.com

    John Oakes Guest

    What kind of calculations? You would probably be better off doing them all
    in TSQL. If you use DTS, a lot of the functionality you need is already
    there. You won't have to write code to run on a schedule, notify you of
    results, etc. If you put all of your SQL code in stored procedure you can
    just call those from the DTS package.

    -John Oakes

    "Max" <> wrote in message
    > Yes I've thought of that, but I'm simply not good at TSQL. I'll most
    > definately be using stored procedures to break the process down in chunks,
    > and have some reuse available to me, but there is a lot of intense
    > calculations with the results (100,000's of records) being stored in

    several
    > tables, probably not even a temp tables, because this data needs to be
    > highly available after the process is done.
    >
    > Hopefully I'll be able to keep the calls to the database low, as well as

    the
    > amount of data being transfered between SQL Server and the Windows

    service.

    John Oakes, Jun 4, 2004