WEB SITE PROJECT DEPLOYMENT ~ Help please??

Brad Isaacs

I am working with ASP.NET 2.0 and using an SQL Server 2000 database.

I am using Visual Studio 2005 and developing on my Local machine. I am
working with Login controls ASP.Configuration, I wanted to move my work
and needed to place it on the server.

Using VS 2005 , went to BUILD
-Publish Web Site
Checked the box for :: Alow this precompiled site to be updatable.

The files are all now sitting on my Server, and when I load my web site, it
loads the first default.aspx page that contains my LOGIN control. However,
when I try to login it is trying to load a SQL Server Express 2005 database.
Yet I am not using SQL Server 2005, and in my App_Data file folder I DO NOT
have an databasename.MDF inside it. However VS 2005 had created a file and
stuck it into my Project. I then receive the following error. See below:

Can anyone suggest why this is occurring and what I can do to resolve this
issue??

Why is it trying to perform an SQLExpress database file auto-creation error,
when I am using an SQL Server 2000 databse???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

~Brad
___________________________________
ERROR: MESSAGE BELOW:

Server Error in '/gddb' Application.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)

SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:
The connection string specifies a local Sql Server Express instance using a
database location within the applications App_Data directory. The provider
attempted to automatically create the application services database because
the provider determined that the database does not exist. The following
configuration requirements are necessary to successfully check for existence
of the application services database and automatically create the
application services database:
1. If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist, the web
server account must have read and write access to the applications
directory. This is necessary because the web server account will
automatically create the App_Data directory if it does not already exist.
2. If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web server
account only requires read and write access to the applications App_Data
directory. This is necessary because the web server account will attempt to
verify that the Sql Server Express database already exists within the
applications App_Data directory. Revoking read access on the App_Data
directory from the web server account will prevent the provider from
correctly determining if the Sql Server Express database already exists.
This will cause an error when the provider attempts to create a duplicate of
an already existing database. Write access is required because the web
server accounts credentials are used when creating the new database.
3. Sql Server Express must be installed on the machine.
4. The process identity for the web server account must have a local user
profile. See the readme document for details on how to create a local user
profile for both machine and domain accounts.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a
connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 -
Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734947
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
stateObj) +188
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection
owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
+170
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningConnection) +130
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +47
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String
user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +68

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to connect to SQL Server database.]
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String
user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +124
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String server,
String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString,
String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean install)
+86
System.Web.Management.SqlServices.Install(String database, String
dbFileName, String connectionString) +25
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.CreateMdfFile(String
fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString) +397

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.210

sloan

I bypass all that drama.

Create a .bat file.
Call it:
Build_WebSite_ReleaseVersion.bat

--start batch, do not include this line

@echo off
ECHO When/If prompted with the question:
ECHO .

ECHO Does ".........." specify a file name or directory name on the
target
ECHO (F = file, D = directory)?
ECHO _
ECHO You should answer with "D" for directory.

ECHO _
ECHO _
ECHO _

ECHO When/If prompted with the question:
ECHO _
ECHO Overwrite (...........)
ECHO (Yes/No/All)?
ECHO _
ECHO You should answer with "A" for "All"
ECHO _

@echo on

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
NorthwindManager.sln /Rebuild Release

XCOPY .\Presentation.Web1\*.* c:\wutemp\ReleaseBuild_Web_NorthwindManager
/EXCLUDE:.\exclude.txt /e/s

-- end batch, do not include this line

Create a exclude.txt file
-- start exclude.txt do not include this line
..pdb
Build_WebSite.bat
exclude.txt
..sln
..vbproj
..csproj
-- end exclude.txt

Put the 2 files in the directory where your .sln file lives.

My example above presupposes that the .sln file is in one directory higher
than where you have the .aspx files (aka, you may need to adjust the
\Presentation.Web.1\ value.

Brad Isaacs
.NET Web Developer, Consultant
www.webdevcreations.com