Web Site Statistics

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dung Ping, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Dung Ping

    Dung Ping Guest

    I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
    academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
    phenomenon. You can open the following page:

    http://pinyinology.com/webstat/usage_200511.html

    and move down to the table of 'Top 10 of 520 Total Sites by KBytes'.
    Please note the number '520' may vary, depending on the time when the
    page is opened.

    On the first two rows of the table, you can see numbers of hits and
    bytes, but 0 visits. I don't think such situation is possible. If
    there are hits, there must be visits, or at least one visit.

    Therefore, I think that something is wrong with the statistics. I've
    sent inquiring email to the server administrator, but got no reply yet.
    I've heard the statistics were managed by a third page, so the
    administrator may not know it well.

    Thanks in advance for help.

    Dung Ping
    Dung Ping, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Hywel Jenkins, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Dung Ping

    Dung Ping Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
    > > academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
    > > phenomenon. You can open the following page:
    > >
    > > http://pinyinology.com/webstat/usage_200511.html

    > Authentication required. Neat.

    Sorry. I got that URL after entering my user ID and password, but
    didn't realize that logging on was still required to open it. So far I
    have found no way to display the page directly without giving
    information for authentication. My inquiry must stop.

    Dung Ping

    Dung Ping, Nov 12, 2005
  4. Dung Ping wrote:

    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is
    > > > for academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a
    > > > puzzling phenomenon. You can open the following page:
    > > >
    > > > http://pinyinology.com/webstat/usage_200511.html

    > > Authentication required. Neat.

    > Sorry. I got that URL after entering my user ID and password, but
    > didn't realize that logging on was still required to open it. So far
    > I have found no way to display the page directly without giving
    > information for authentication. My inquiry must stop.

    Just save the page as a HTML page and upload it to a location that
    doesn't require a username/password to view it.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 12, 2005
  5. Dung Ping

    Dung Ping Guest

    Kim André Akerø wrote:

    > Just save the page as a HTML page and upload it to a location that
    > doesn't require a username/password to view it.

    Good Idea. Following is my original message and the saved page:

    I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
    academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
    phenomenon. You can open the following page:

    http://www.pinyinology.com/statistics.html

    and move down to the table of 'Top 10 of 520 Total Sites by KBytes'.
    Please note the numbers '10' and '520' may vary, depending on the time

    Dung Ping, Nov 15, 2005
  6. Dung Ping

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Dung Ping wrote:
    > I pay close attention to the statistics of my web site which is for
    > academic discussions. During last couple of days I noticed a puzzling
    > phenomenon. You can open the following page:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/statistics.html
    >
    > and move down to the table of 'Top 10 of 520 Total Sites by KBytes'.
    > Please note the numbers '10' and '520' may vary, depending on the time
    > when the page is opened.
    >
    > On the first two rows of the table, you can see numbers of hits and
    > bytes, but 0 visits. I don't think such situation is possible. If
    > there are hits, there must be visits, or at least one visit.

    It depends on how Webalizer counts 'visits'. There's no single
    definition of what a 'visit' is as far as web stats go and different
    stats programs use different methods (all of which come down to
    guesswork) to count 'visits'. You need to read the documentation for
    Webalizer and if that doesn't help contact the manufacturer.

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Nov 15, 2005