Web Start apps will not uninstall

Steve Sobol

I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this:

I can install Web Start apps just fine on Vista Ultimate SP2, but when I
go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the app... well, it doesn't
uninstall. It just sits on the list indefinitely, no matter how many
times I try to uninstall it.

This happens with many different apps, from many different sources.

Lew

Steve said:
I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this:

I can install Web Start apps just fine on Vista Ultimate SP2, but when I
go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the app... well, it doesn't
uninstall. It just sits on the list indefinitely, no matter how many
times I try to uninstall it.

This happens with many different apps, from many different sources.

Is this just Java apps or do other apps have trouble, too?

I don't know about Vista, but I've seen this sort of thing on Windows XP, too.
I've had some luck deleting the installed files manually after running
"Remove Programs" on them, then running "Remove Programs" again after the
manual deletion.

markspace

Steve said:
I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this:

I can install Web Start apps just fine on Vista Ultimate SP2, but when I
go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the app... well, it doesn't
uninstall. It just sits on the list indefinitely, no matter how many
times I try to uninstall it.

This happens with many different apps, from many different sources.

Shouldn't you use the Java control Panel or javaws -viewer for this?

I've never tried using the OS uninstall programs feature, but I was
horsing around with applets+jws just this weekend and I was using the
control panel to remove JWS programs I was testing.

Roedy Green

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html#UNINSTALLING

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

~ Frank Zappa (born: 1940-12-21 died: 1993-12-04 at age: 52)