Web Start Problem - IE Cache

JavaEnquirer

My web start delivered application only works on some client machines.
However, when I clear out the internet explorer cache on the problem
machines the problem disappears.

I heard something about Tomcat's no-cache directive being a problem.
Can anyone offer me some more explicit advice? I'm using Tomcat 5.5 and
can't find any reference to a no-cache directive in web.xml. I'm
assuming that by turning this off, IE will save my app to the client
machines' local file store and all will be well.

Many thanks in advance.

Roedy Green

My web start delivered application only works on some client machines.
However, when I clear out the internet explorer cache on the problem
machines the problem disappears.

This is quite peculiar. IE has almost nothing to do with JAWS. All it
does is hand off the URL of JNLP file to javaws.exe.

Two general hint about JAWS;

1. check that your server is using the proper mime type for JNLP
files. See http://mindprod.com/applets/mimecheck.html
to double check.

2. Also check that your browsers are set up for JAWS.
visit http://mindprod.com/applets/setclock.html
to double check.

JavaEnquirer

Cheers Roedy,

The mime type is fine. I had a page not found error when attempting to
run setclock however.

Here's what Sun had to say on the matter:

This problem is specific to Internet Explorer. Although this can be
caused by a full cache, or turning off the cache in IE, it is usually
caused by a no-cache directive coming from either the web server or the
proxy server. IE will honor this directive, and not write the jnlp file
to disk, so Java Web Start cannot find it. This frequently happens when
upgrading a tomcat based server. Later versions set the no-cache
directive by default for any resource that is within a
security-constraint in web.xml. Try taking the relevant URI out of the
security constraint in web.xml.

I can't seem to find this no-cache directive reference in web.xml
however!

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/javaws/developersguide/faq.html#220

Thanks again.