Web Start problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by emf, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. emf

    emf Guest

    I'm learning Web Start using eclipse but from a book that uses the
    command prompt method. So in eclipse I have 2 projects: the first
    contains files downloaded from the book's website (and does not contain
    the programs in packages, and in the second I copy and compile the same
    files but in packages as eclipse requires.

    The jnlp file in the first project:

    =============
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <jnlp spec="1.0+"
    codebase="file:///C:/MyStuf~1/MyFile~1/Java/worksp~1/JIES/10-Dep~1"
    href="Lotto.jnlp">

    <information>
    <title>Lotto Application</title>
    <vendor>Java In Easy Steps</vendor>
    <homepage href="http://www.ineasysteps.com" />
    <offline-allowed/>
    </information>

    <resources>
    <jar href="Lotto.jar"/>
    <j2se version="1.6+"
    href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>
    </resources>

    <application-desc main-class="Lotto"/>

    </jnlp>
    =============

    works just fine and the program runs OK.

    However, the jnlp of the second project:

    =============
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <jnlp spec="1.0+"
    codebase="file:///C:/MyStuf~1/MyFile~1/Java/worksp~1/JavaIn~1/10_Dep~1/"
    href="Lotto.jnlp">

    <information>
    <title>Lotto Application</title>
    <vendor>Java In Easy Steps</vendor>
    <homepage href="http://www.ineasysteps.com" />
    <offline-allowed/>
    </information>

    <resources>
    <jar href="Lotto.jar"/>
    <j2se version="1.6+"
    href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"/>
    </resources>

    <application-desc main-class="Lotto"/>

    </jnlp>
    =============

    does not find the jnlp file (java.io.FileNotFoundException: The system
    cannot find the path specified).

    Can the problem be that the program in the second project inside the jar
    is in a package? If not, what else could the problem be?

    Thanks,

    emf

    --
    Natal Transits calculator
    https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/jf/NatalTransits.html
    emf, Feb 11, 2013

  2. In article <kfaasd$qps$>, emf <>
    wrote:

    [...]
    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    >
    > <jnlp spec="1.0+" [...] >

    [...]
    > <application-desc main-class="Lotto"/>
    >
    > </jnlp>
    > =============
    >
    > does not find the jnlp file (java.io.FileNotFoundException: The
    > system cannot find the path specified).
    >
    > Can the problem be that the program in the second project inside the
    > jar is in a package?

    Yes; as a concrete example, cited below, the main class is in a package
    named "draw":

    <application-desc main-class="draw.GraphPanel"/>

    <https://sites.google.com/site/drjohnbmatthews/graphpanel>

    > If not, what else could the problem be?

    What did you try? What happened when you tried it?

    More resources may be found here:

    <http://stackoverflow.com/tags/java-web-start/info>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    John B. Matthews, Feb 11, 2013

  3. emf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <> wrote,

    >does not find the jnlp file (java.io.FileNotFoundException: The system
    >cannot find the path specified).

    JWS looks for a JNLP file twice, once for a URL you specify, (often
    cached) then it looks inside that file for a link to the most
    up-to-data copy.

    You seem to be using short DOS filenames. I would avoid that. Their
    support is optional.

    Do you have two copies of the JNLP? What are their precise file
    names?

    Java is case sensitive. Make sure all your names have the precise
    case.

    Normally there are no file: urls in jnlp. There should not be any if
    you are trying to use this on the web.
    time.
    ~ Tom Cargill Ninety-ninety Law
    Roedy Green, Feb 12, 2013
  4. emf

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <> wrote,

    ><jnlp spec="1.0+"

    We are on JNLP version 6 . If you specify 1.0 you must limit yourself
    drastically.
    Roedy Green, Feb 14, 2013
  5. In article <>,
    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <> wrote,
    >
    > ><jnlp spec="1.0+"

    > We are on JNLP version 6 . If you specify 1.0 you must limit
    > yourself drastically.

    Drastically? Here's a chart of elements and versions, for reference:

    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    John B. Matthews, Feb 14, 2013
  6. emf

    markspace Guest

    On 2/14/2013 9:57 AM, John B. Matthews wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Roedy Green <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:47:07 -0500, emf <> wrote,
    >> quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >>
    >>> <jnlp spec="1.0+"

    >> We are on JNLP version 6 . If you specify 1.0 you must limit
    >> yourself drastically.

    > Drastically? Here's a chart of elements and versions, for reference:
    >
    > <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/javaws/developersguide/syntax.html>

    Right, "spec" means JNLP specification, not Java version. The default
    is "1.0+", so that attribute would seem to do nothing.
    markspace, Feb 14, 2013