    over a month and only Alta Vista seems to show it. I did follow the advice
    on several sites on Meta Tags, but am still waiting for results.
    Thanks in advance for any help here....Ross
    Ross Mac, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Ross Mac

    Steve R. Guest

    Ross Mac wrote in message ...
    > So far I have submitted it to
    > most of the main search engines.

    What's the URL ?

    We can analyse the content etc and *advise* you
    how to modify items to improve your ratings :~)

    Steve.
    Steve R., Dec 20, 2003

  3. Ross Mac

    PeterMcC Guest

    Ross Mac wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I'm a bit of a newbie at this web design thing and finally got my site
    > completed (as if that EVER happens). My question is what is the best
    > way to get your site submitted on the search engines. So far I have
    > submitted it to most of the main search engines and
    > freewebsubmission.com but it has been over a month and only Alta
    > Vista seems to show it. I did follow the advice on several sites on
    > Meta Tags, but am still waiting for results. Thanks in advance for
    > any help here....Ross

    Get someone - anyone - with a page that's already on Google's database to
    put a link to your site. The spider will follow the link next time it visits
    their page and it'll find your site.

    As a bonus, if the link text contains your keyword(s), Google will give them
    extra weighting when evaluating the page's place in the results of searches
    for the keyword(s).

    A URL might get more site-specific advice.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    PeterMcC, Dec 20, 2003

  4. >From: lid
    >(Ross Mac)
    >Hi Folks,
    >I'm a bit of a newbie at this web design
    >thing and finally got my site completed (as
    >if that EVER happens). My question is
    >what is the best way to get your site
    >submitted on the search engines.

    We offer an Exchange Links page... look here... you could improve your
    ranking at Search Engines: http://davmagic.com/PAGES8.html

    Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    INFO 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com
    See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp
    Davmagic .Com, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Ross Mac

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle PeterMcC scribbled in the mud:

    > Ross Mac wrote:
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I'm a bit of a newbie at this web design thing and finally got my
    >> site completed (as if that EVER happens). My question is what is the
    >> best way to get your site submitted on the search engines. So far I
    >> have submitted it to most of the main search engines and
    >> freewebsubmission.com but it has been over a month and only Alta
    >> Vista seems to show it. I did follow the advice on several sites on
    >> Meta Tags, but am still waiting for results. Thanks in advance for
    >> any help here....Ross

    > Get someone - anyone - with a page that's already on Google's database
    > to put a link to your site. The spider will follow the link next time
    > it visits their page and it'll find your site.
    >
    > As a bonus, if the link text contains your keyword(s), Google will
    > give them extra weighting when evaluating the page's place in the
    > results of searches for the keyword(s).

    Send me cash & I will put a lunk on me site for you. ;)

    Meta tags mean nothing. SE spiders ignor them. Page titles & <h1> tags
    that contain the keywords will get you the best results.

    --
    Duende
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps
    Duende, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Ross Mac

    Ross Mac Guest

    "Steve R." <> wrote in message
    > Ross Mac wrote in message ...
    > > So far I have submitted it to
    > > most of the main search engines.

    > What's the URL ?
    >
    > We can analyse the content etc and *advise* you
    > how to modify items to improve your ratings :~)
    >
    > Steve.

    I didn't leave the URL because I didn't want to use this fine forum for
    advertising...but since you asked...here it is..
    http://macroeng.home.att.net .... I am retired from the biz but I do some
    work from time to time.... It is mostly a site to move my parts...thanks and
    have great holiday....Ross
    Ross Mac, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Ross Mac

    Ross Mac Guest

    "PeterMcC" <> wrote in message
    > Ross Mac wrote:
    > > Hi Folks,
    > >
    > > I'm a bit of a newbie at this web design thing and finally got my site
    > > completed (as if that EVER happens). My question is what is the best
    > > way to get your site submitted on the search engines. So far I have
    > > submitted it to most of the main search engines and
    > > freewebsubmission.com but it has been over a month and only Alta
    > > Vista seems to show it. I did follow the advice on several sites on
    > > Meta Tags, but am still waiting for results. Thanks in advance for
    > > any help here....Ross

    > Get someone - anyone - with a page that's already on Google's database to
    > put a link to your site. The spider will follow the link next time it

    visits
    > their page and it'll find your site.
    >
    > As a bonus, if the link text contains your keyword(s), Google will give

    them
    > extra weighting when evaluating the page's place in the results of

    searches
    > for the keyword(s).
    >
    > A URL might get more site-specific advice.
    >
    > --
    > PeterMcC
    > If you feel that any of the above is incorrect,
    > inappropriate or offensive in any way,
    > please ignore it and accept my apologies.

    I certainly appreciate all who have responded ....Thanks again....Ross
    Ross Mac, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Davmagic .Com wrote:
    > We offer an Exchange Links page... look here... you could improve your
    > ranking at Search Engines: http://davmagic.com/PAGES8.html

    Such pages don't do much to Google ranking. From Google Hacks:

    Bad neighborhoods are those sites that exist only to propagate links.
    Because link popularity is one aspect of how Google determines PageRank,
    some sites have set up "link farms"--sites that exist only for the
    purpose of building site popularity with bunches of links. The links are
    not topical, like a specialty subject index, and they're not
    well-reviewed, like Yahoo!; they're just a pile of links. Another
    example of a "bad neighborhood" is a general FFA page. FFA stands for
    "free for all"; it's a page where anyone can add their link. Linking to
    pages like that is grounds for penalty from Google.

    Now, what happens if a page like that links to you? Will Google penalize
    you (sic) page? No. Google accepts that you have no control over who
    links to your site.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Ross Mac

    Steve R. Guest

    Davmagic .Com wrote in message ...
    > We offer an Exchange Links page.

    But YOU don't have a LINKS page on YOUR website so YOU are the only one to benefit.

    Steve :~(
    Steve R., Dec 21, 2003
  10. Ross Mac

    Cameron Guest

    Re: Web submission (o/t)

    Davmagic .Com wrote:
    >>From: lid
    >>(Ross Mac)
    >>Hi Folks,
    >>I'm a bit of a newbie at this web design
    >>thing and finally got my site completed (as
    >>if that EVER happens). My question is
    >>what is the best way to get your site
    >>submitted on the search engines.

    > We offer an Exchange Links page... look here... you could improve your
    > ranking at Search Engines: http://davmagic.com/PAGES8.html
    >
    > Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    > INFO 2000 For You
    > http://www.davmagic.com
    > See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    > Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

    Wow, you really like WebTV ;) and $1000 for a PC?! lol
    *Pats marvin* you didn't cost that much did ya ol' chap ;)

    ~Cameron
    Cameron, Dec 21, 2003

  11. >From:

    >(Steve R.)
    >Davmagic .Com wrote in message ...
    >"We offer an Exchange Links page."
    >But YOU don't have a LINKS page on
    >YOUR website so YOU are the only one
    >to benefit.

    Yes I do... it's the SAME PAGE! If you would look down the page you
    would see the Exchanged Links that are added... via the Form provided
    (subject to my approval, that is)

    Davmagic .Com, Dec 21, 2003
  12. Ross Mac

    PeterMcC Guest

    Davmagic .Com wrote:
    >> From: lid
    >> (Ross Mac)
    >> Hi Folks,
    >> I'm a bit of a newbie at this web design
    >> thing and finally got my site completed (as
    >> if that EVER happens). My question is
    >> what is the best way to get your site
    >> submitted on the search engines.

    > We offer an Exchange Links page... look here... you could improve your
    > ranking at Search Engines: http://davmagic.com/PAGES8.html

    http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

    <quote>Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's
    ranking or PageRank. </quote>

    PeterMcC, Dec 21, 2003