    Is Zope something for me ? what else ?

    Thanks,

    Philippe
    Philippe Martin, Jun 29, 2006

  2. On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:02:47 -0500, Philippe Martin

    > I need to get one server to accept connection requests from many devices
    > (not all PC-Based) and then have a bi-lateral "conversation" with those
    > devices prior to closing the connection.

    Question 1: Are these requests HTTP? If not, then any "web server"
    specific solution is not usable -- you need something lower level... a
    generic server process (remember: telnet, ftp, nntp, smtp, pop3, etc.
    are ALL server based protocols).

    Also remember that pure HTTP is stateless -- the client specifies a
    URL (page) and the server returns that page... at that point the
    "interaction" is over. Anything that requires more than single
    URL/response needs to add stuff like cookies in order to carry state
    information.

    > Is Zope something for me ? what else ?

    Zope is a low-level webserver framework typically used as the root
    of a Content Management system (CMF being one such, and CMF itself is
    the basis of Plone). It is designed to handle things like "consistent"
    presentation of content (snippets of news, etc.) along with login
    control, and change management (author edits a news clip, submits,
    "editor" reviews and either rejects it [send back to author] or
    publishes [approves it] it... anonymous uses can only see published
    content).

    Given the vagueness of your requirements, I suspect Twisted may be
    closer to something you could use.

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/