WebApp / Service - some differences?

Rob Meade

Hi all,

I've come from a web app background, and am currently trying to write a
windows service in vb.net using visual studio.

I am running into a few problems - for example I have the first steps of
what I want the service to do fine, its checking a directory, but the next
part is whats throwing me - I want to see what its doing, I was going to
trigger a messagebox to appear, but I get errors when I use:

messagebox.show() etc

I am also finding it impossible to use a regexp which I could really do with
using - the worst part is I dont understand why I cant use these? Do I need
to 'import' something else, many items that are usually available do not
seem available - is this because I've chosen a 'windows service' etc, and
therefore something are not available? Should I inherit from something
different?

yours - very confused..

Regards

Rob

TJS

you may want to try the microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb group
they do desktop stuff