webapp talking to another

James Yong

Hi,

I am using Tomcat. Is it possible to have a web application deployed in a
context, talking to another context?

I am hoping to avoid putting similar codes across the various folders in
Tomcat/webapp.

Regards,
James Yong

Ectomorph

Why not put a comman jar of the code you wish to share in the
%TOMCAT_HOME%/shared/libs directory.

James Yong

Ectomorph said:
Why not put a comman jar of the code you wish to share in the
%TOMCAT_HOME%/shared/libs directory.
Is the above solution possible when the common code needs to read from the
database and then do some computation before returning the results?

pkriens

Take a look at www.osgi.org. This is a specification that supports web
servers (people have ported Tomcat, Jetty and others to it) but handles
the issues of deployment, code sharing and collaboration much better
than servlet and webapp environments. It also allows you to dynamically
load and unload applications without restarting the VM.

Apache is implementing this spec in felix incubator (used in the
directory services and considered by many others), Knopflerfish is
another open source implementation and Eclipse is based on this
standard.

http://www.eclipse.org/equinox
http://www.knopflerfish.org
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/felix.html