webbased threaded discussion system

Leythos

Hi,

what I want is something like what you're looking at right now, but webbased
:)

I want my users to give them the ability to discuss things with each other w
(posting messages and replying to them) and there can be some sub-discussions
within a thread (like often happens here). But all the webbased software I
know has a more flat structure on how replies are organized.

On usenet there is a clear structure on who's responding to which message.
On a regular board (thinking about phpBB) the replies are all on the same
level (reply 3, might be an answer to reply2, reply 1 or to the original
message)

usenet:
message
- reply 1
- reply 3
- reply 2
phpBB:
message
reply 1
reply 2
reply 3

I know there is something like this: http://www.iradio.be/news/index.php
But that's rather a web-interface to newsgroups and I'm searching for a fully
webbased system.

This is the easiest to setup and works for many users:
http://www.phpbb.com/

Jan831

[...]

Greetings,
Jan831

Jan831

This is the easiest to setup and works for many users:
http://www.phpbb.com/

I already mentioned what the problem is with phpBB. Within 1 thread there
might be more discussions. In this type of boards, the answers of those
discussions are all mixed up. After some messages posted, only 1 discussion
remains. The other ones are not picked up anymore by the readers, who mostly
only read the last X messages in a thread (assuming they are all about that 1
subdiscussion).
see my example again:

David Dorward

Jan831 said:
I know there is something like this: http://www.iradio.be/news/index.php
But that's rather a web-interface to newsgroups and I'm searching for a
fully webbased system.

Why? You could run a private NNTP server and put a web frontend to it. Then
people who want to can use the much nicer NNTP interface in their favourite
newsreader, and those who prefer web front ends can use that instead.

data64

I want my users to give them the ability to discuss things with each
other w (posting messages and replying to them) and there can be some
sub-discussions within a thread (like often happens here). But all the
webbased software I know has a more flat structure on how replies are
organized.

Slashdot does this <http://slashdot.org/>. It uses its own slashcode system
for this, which is open source and free. But I hear it is a pain to setup.

Kuro5hin also has something similar. <http://www.kuro5hin.org/> It uses
something called Scoop <http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/>, which is also GPL'ed and
free

Perlmonks <http://perlmonks.org/> has a similar feature.It uses a heavily
customized version of Everything engine <http://everydevel.com/>. Not sure
whether the base everything engine has this feature too, it probably does
since I remember JavaJunkies website uses it too
<http://www.javajunkies.org/index.pl>

hth,
data64

Leythos

I already mentioned what the problem is with phpBB. Within 1 thread there
might be more discussions. In this type of boards, the answers of those
discussions are all mixed up. After some messages posted, only 1 discussion
remains. The other ones are not picked up anymore by the readers, who mostly
only read the last X messages in a thread (assuming they are all about that 1
subdiscussion).
see my example again:

Then your only option is to setup your own Usenet server and limit it to
your private groups. You don't have to use a web interface, you could just
set it up using the normal Usenet clients.