webbased threaded discussion system

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Leythos, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Leythos

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:34:22 +0100, Jan831 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > what I want is something like what you're looking at right now, but webbased
    > :)
    >
    > I want my users to give them the ability to discuss things with each other w
    > (posting messages and replying to them) and there can be some sub-discussions
    > within a thread (like often happens here). But all the webbased software I
    > know has a more flat structure on how replies are organized.
    >
    > On usenet there is a clear structure on who's responding to which message.
    > On a regular board (thinking about phpBB) the replies are all on the same
    > level (reply 3, might be an answer to reply2, reply 1 or to the original
    > message)
    >
    > usenet:
    > message
    > - reply 1
    > - reply 3
    > - reply 2
    > phpBB:
    > message
    > reply 1
    > reply 2
    > reply 3
    >
    > I know there is something like this: http://www.iradio.be/news/index.php
    > But that's rather a web-interface to newsgroups and I'm searching for a fully
    > webbased system.

    This is the easiest to setup and works for many users:
    http://www.phpbb.com/

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Jan831, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Leythos

    Jan831 Guest

    In bericht <5500e.6780$>, schreef
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:34:22 +0100, Jan831 wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > what I want is something like what you're looking at right now, but webbased
    > > :)
    > >
    > > On usenet there is a clear structure on who's responding to which message.
    > > On a regular board (thinking about phpBB) the replies are all on the same
    > > level (reply 3, might be an answer to reply2, reply 1 or to the original
    > > message)

    > This is the easiest to setup and works for many users:
    > http://www.phpbb.com/

    I already mentioned what the problem is with phpBB. Within 1 thread there
    might be more discussions. In this type of boards, the answers of those
    discussions are all mixed up. After some messages posted, only 1 discussion
    remains. The other ones are not picked up anymore by the readers, who mostly
    only read the last X messages in a thread (assuming they are all about that 1
    subdiscussion).
    see my example again:

    Jan831, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Jan831 wrote:
    > I know there is something like this: http://www.iradio.be/news/index.php
    > But that's rather a web-interface to newsgroups and I'm searching for a
    > fully webbased system.

    Why? You could run a private NNTP server and put a web frontend to it. Then
    people who want to can use the much nicer NNTP interface in their favourite
    newsreader, and those who prefer web front ends can use that instead.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Mar 22, 2005

    invisionBoard www.invisionboard.com is another one.

    Jonathan (Pickles) Sklan-Willis, Mar 22, 2005
  6. Leythos

    Toby Inkster Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Jan831 wrote:
    >
    >> I know there is something like this: http://www.iradio.be/news/index.php
    >> But that's rather a web-interface to newsgroups and I'm searching for a
    >> fully webbased system.

    > Why? You could run a private NNTP server and put a web frontend to it.

    This would be my recommendation too.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 23, 2005
  7. Leythos

    data64 Guest

    > I want my users to give them the ability to discuss things with each
    > other w (posting messages and replying to them) and there can be some
    > sub-discussions within a thread (like often happens here). But all the
    > webbased software I know has a more flat structure on how replies are
    > organized.

    Slashdot does this <http://slashdot.org/>. It uses its own slashcode system
    for this, which is open source and free. But I hear it is a pain to setup.

    Kuro5hin also has something similar. <http://www.kuro5hin.org/> It uses
    something called Scoop <http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/>, which is also GPL'ed and
    free

    Perlmonks <http://perlmonks.org/> has a similar feature.It uses a heavily
    customized version of Everything engine <http://everydevel.com/>. Not sure
    whether the base everything engine has this feature too, it probably does
    since I remember JavaJunkies website uses it too
    <http://www.javajunkies.org/index.pl>

    hth,
    data64

    data64, Mar 23, 2005
  8. Leythos

    Leythos Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:50:53 +0100, Jan831 wrote:

    > In bericht <5500e.6780$>, schreef
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:34:22 +0100, Jan831 wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > what I want is something like what you're looking at right now, but webbased
    >> > :)
    >> >
    >> > On usenet there is a clear structure on who's responding to which message.
    >> > On a regular board (thinking about phpBB) the replies are all on the same
    >> > level (reply 3, might be an answer to reply2, reply 1 or to the original
    >> > message)

    >> This is the easiest to setup and works for many users:
    >> http://www.phpbb.com/
    >>

    > I already mentioned what the problem is with phpBB. Within 1 thread there
    > might be more discussions. In this type of boards, the answers of those
    > discussions are all mixed up. After some messages posted, only 1 discussion
    > remains. The other ones are not picked up anymore by the readers, who mostly
    > only read the last X messages in a thread (assuming they are all about that 1
    > subdiscussion).
    > see my example again:
    >> > usenet:
    >> > message
    >> > - reply 1
    >> > - reply 3
    >> > - reply 2
    >> > phpBB:
    >> > message
    >> > reply 1
    >> > reply 2
    >> > reply 3

    Then your only option is to setup your own Usenet server and limit it to
    your private groups. You don't have to use a web interface, you could just
    set it up using the normal Usenet clients.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Mar 23, 2005