    Gnome, maybe), and start that web browser.

    Comments?

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Sanders, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Jeremy Sanders wrote:
    > It occurs to me that webbrowser could be more intelligent on Linux/Unix
    > systems. Both Gnome and KDE have default web browsers, so one could use
    > their settings to choose the appropriate browser.

    > I haven't been able to find a freedesktop common standard for web browser,
    > however.

    > webbrowser could identify whether it was running under KDE/Gnome (maybe
    > scan the processes?), identify the correct desktop's browser (or just use
    > Gnome, maybe), and start that web browser.

    I would not mind just using default GNOME's browser :)

    to determine the one you will need python-gconf2 module and look for
    gconf entry /desktop/gnome/applications/browser

    The only bug here is that user MUST have python-gconf2 installed. Many
    GNOMErs do not have it. but hey - one more dependancy.. Who cares? If
    they istalled pyGTK :) - why it is wrong to ask for python-gconf2?

    Timothy Babytch, Feb 14, 2005