Webcam image

Danny C

I'm not a web page expert but I have set up a few simple web pages. I
want to do a page to display an image from a live webcam and I don't have a
clue how to start. I have set up some software to send the image every 30
seconds to a web server. How can I get the web page to update the image
every 30-45 seconds?

Danny

WebcastMaker

I'm not a web page expert but I have set up a few simple web pages. I
want to do a page to display an image from a live webcam and I don't have a
clue how to start. I have set up some software to send the image every 30
seconds to a web server. How can I get the web page to update the image
every 30-45 seconds?

You might not want to do that. Reason is, if someone leaves their
browser open on the image, and walks away, the bandwidth could build up.

You might just want to tell them to refresh the page to see a new image.

If not, google meta refresh

Leif K-Brooks

Danny said:
I'm not a web page expert but I have set up a few simple web pages. I
want to do a page to display an image from a live webcam and I don't have a
clue how to start. I have set up some software to send the image every 30
seconds to a web server. How can I get the web page to update the image
every 30-45 seconds?

The web page doesn't need to do anything. Just have it point to the
image file that's being uploaded periodically.

Si Ballenger

I'm not a web page expert but I have set up a few simple web pages. I
want to do a page to display an image from a live webcam and I don't have a
clue how to start. I have set up some software to send the image every 30
seconds to a web server. How can I get the web page to update the image
every 30-45 seconds?

Danny

Making the page meta refresh every 30 seconds should suffice.

Neal

Making the page meta refresh every 30 seconds should suffice.

I have an issue with a web designer enforcing reload on me. As a user, I'd
prefer having to reload on my own. Just put that in the content.

Si Ballenger

I have an issue with a web designer enforcing reload on me. As a user, I'd
prefer having to reload on my own. Just put that in the content.

You probably can put the pix in a frame and have it refresh
there. I tinker more with streaming video than pix refreshes.

Danny C

Si Ballenger said:
You probably can put the pix in a frame and have it refresh
there. I tinker more with streaming video than pix refreshes.

Really that's what I want to do, just refresh the image every 30 seconds.
Can anyone explain how to do this?

Nik Coughin

Danny said:
Really that's what I want to do, just refresh the image every 30
seconds. Can anyone explain how to do this?

Webcaster already told you how to do it :)

Leif K-Brooks

Danny said:
Really that's what I want to do, just refresh the image every 30 seconds.
Can anyone explain how to do this?

What you want is irrelevant. The user comes first.

Si Ballenger

Really that's what I want to do, just refresh the image every 30 seconds.
Can anyone explain how to do this?

Look for some java scripts that will just reload the image and
not the whole page. I use a java pull setup on my test page below
that updates as fast as possible. I think the java scripts can be
set to download a new pix on a timed interval if desired. Look
around and when you see a setup like you want, view the page
source to see what is there.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm

Danny C

Si Ballenger said:
Look for some java scripts that will just reload the image and
not the whole page. I use a java pull setup on my test page below
that updates as fast as possible. I think the java scripts can be
set to download a new pix on a timed interval if desired. Look
around and when you see a setup like you want, view the page
source to see what is there.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc2000.htm
Thanks. I'm not a webmaster and don't claim to be. I was asked by a friend
what it would take to have a live broadcast from his bar on an accasional
date for special events.. I'm not getting paid to do this it's just
something I thought I'd try. He doesn't want to go out and spend $$$$$
He just wants to give his customers the ability to see what's going on.

Danny

Si Ballenger

Oh &deity;, is that really updating every *second*? I wouldn't be
surprised if someone sues you for bandwidth costs.

Java pull only uses bandwidth when actually being viewed. Its not
ftp. ;-)

Si Ballenger

Thanks. I'm not a webmaster and don't claim to be. I was asked by a friend
what it would take to have a live broadcast from his bar on an accasional
date for special events.. I'm not getting paid to do this it's just
something I thought I'd try. He doesn't want to go out and spend $$$$$
He just wants to give his customers the ability to see what's going on.

If the bar has a full time net connection (cable/dsl) and a
computer, then it would be fairly easy and inexpensive to setup a
webcam. There is a lot of webcam software for either streaming
video or periodic pix updates.

Leif K-Brooks

Si said:
Java pull only uses bandwidth when actually being viewed. Its not
ftp. ;-)

What, you mean it has special sensors installed in my computer screen
which detect the presence of eyeballs?

Si Ballenger

What, you mean it has special sensors installed in my computer screen
which detect the presence of eyeballs?

Yes! It is best to avoid direct eye contact, otherwise your new
electronic friend will hyp-mo-tize you!

Danny C

Si Ballenger said:
Java pull only uses bandwidth when actually being viewed. Its not
ftp. ;-)

I am now trying to use a java applet screen to view the cam. Here is the
code:

<applet codebase= "http://home.att.net/~dannycarwile/ww.jpg"
archive="wwCam.jar" code="wwCam.class" width=320 height=240>
<param name="filename" value="http://home.att.net/~dannycarwile/ww.jpg">
<param name="copyright" value="Copyright (c) 2003 Willing Webcam">
</applet>

I copied it from a web page that works great and substituted my AT&T server
address. Can someone please tell me what I have to do to get it to work.
All I am getting now is a grey applet screen. I will say the site I got it
from has there IP address followed by a port address and file name. I don't
know the IP address of the AT&T server. . . . . . . . Yet.

Danny