    downloading and installing progs (assuming their JRE is up to date)

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Mar 17, 2009

  2. On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <>
    wrote:
    > Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
    > USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image.

    Try JMF.

    I think Knute Johnson's site also has some nice examples,
    though I cannot recall if they use(/need) JMF.
    <http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/>

    > Again, the aim is to make this totally accessible to the viewer ie no
    > downloading and installing progs

    An applet is a 'prog' and when a user visits the page, it
    is downloaded and 'installed' insofar as the user does not
    flush the class cache.

    If you add archives of other classes or natives into the applet
    element in the HTML, they will likewise be downloaded and
    'installed'.

    So it would seem that 'Java cannot do this' if you stick
    strictly to your conditions, but if you can widen them that far,..

    >..(assuming their JRE is up to date)

    Big assumption. It is usually better to use a script like
    deployJava.js of a JRE version check applet before assuming
    anything about the version of a user's JRE (or its presence).

    --
    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 18, 2009

  3. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <>
    > wrote:
    >> Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
    >> USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image.

    > Try JMF.
    >
    > I think Knute Johnson's site also has some nice examples,
    > though I cannot recall if they use(/need) JMF.
    > <http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/>
    >
    >> Again, the aim is to make this totally accessible to the viewer ie no
    >> downloading and installing progs

    > An applet is a 'prog' and when a user visits the page, it
    > is downloaded and 'installed' insofar as the user does not
    > flush the class cache.
    >
    > If you add archives of other classes or natives into the applet
    > element in the HTML, they will likewise be downloaded and
    > 'installed'.
    >
    > So it would seem that 'Java cannot do this' if you stick
    > strictly to your conditions, but if you can widen them that far,..
    >
    >> ..(assuming their JRE is up to date)

    > Big assumption. It is usually better to use a script like
    > deployJava.js of a JRE version check applet before assuming
    > anything about the version of a user's JRE (or its presence).
    >
    > --
    > Andrew T.

    Thanks.
    BTW, I seem to recall reading somewhere that JMF is being phased out in
    favour of something else. Not too sure - is my impression correct?
    Right now I'm testing stuff with this neat bit of shareware.
    http://www.theill.com/conquercam/

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Mar 18, 2009
  4. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
    > USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image. Any
    > suggestions for:
    >
    > a) Freebies
    > b) Pay stuff
    > c) Pointers to DIY
    >
    > Again, the aim is to make this totally accessible to the viewer ie no
    > downloading and installing progs (assuming their JRE is up to date)

    I've got a Java application that uses JMF to grab an image from a
    camera. I'm using the Windows command line ftp client to send the data
    to my website. You didn't specify if you were using Windows or Linux.
    I have not tested it on Linux for a couple of reasons, one I was never
    able to get JMF to work with Linux, and two, I didn't have Linux camera
    drivers.

    You are welcome to the source to my application, just send me an email.
    The code is several years old and you may have to fiddle with it to
    get it to work with your camera.

    As to JMF, Sun has not updated JMF in many years. Version 7 is supposed
    to have replacements for some of JMF's features. Unfortunately, the
    release of version 7 has been pushed out again to early 2010. In the
    last article I saw, there was no mention of the media enhancements to
    version 7.

    http://hamletdarcy.blogspot.com/2008/12/java-7-update-from-mark-reinhold-at.html

    So I don't know if they are still in there or not. This is a
    significant shortcoming of Java but I'm not sure that it will be
    corrected any time soon.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2009/

    Knute Johnson, Mar 18, 2009
  5. On Mar 19, 12:34 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <>
    wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <>

    > > Try JMF.

    > BTW, I seem to recall reading somewhere that JMF is being phased out in
    > favour of something else.

    Not true. JMF is entirely obsolete, though Sun refuses to
    make any acknowledgment of that. Of course, it was a 'complex
    and complete' API when it was released, but time goes by, and
    is was not updated with newer codec's and formats.

    Of course, if your app. can use older formats, that is no problem.

    --
    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 20, 2009
  6. On Mar 20, 2:17 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 12:34 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > > On Mar 18, 5:53 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <>

    > > > ...JMF is being phased out in

    > > favour of something else.

    That would be JMC - Java Media Components
    in Java 7.

    --
    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 20, 2009
  7. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 2:17 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    >> On Mar 19, 12:34 am, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> favour of something else.

    > That would be JMC - Java Media Components
    > in Java 7.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew T.

    Andrew:

    Have you seen anywhere recently where they say that JMC is still coming?

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2009/

    Knute Johnson, Mar 20, 2009
  8. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:53:31 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
    said :

    >Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
    >USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image. Any
    >suggestions for:

    see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#NETWORKCAM
    it is free, open source.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "In the central North Pacific, plastic outweighs surface zooplankton 6 to 1."
    ~ Thomas M. Kostigen

    Roedy Green, Mar 20, 2009
  9. Knute Johnson wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On Mar 20, 2:17 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:

    >> That would be JMC - Java Media Components
    >> in Java 7.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Andrew T.

    > Andrew:
    >
    > Have you seen anywhere recently where they say that JMC is still coming?

    I assume then that it doesn't currently exist?
    If so, what do people do who want to code multimedia apps?

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Mar 20, 2009
  10. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:53:31 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
    > said :
    >
    >> Been trawling the net looking for applets that will put images from my
    >> USB webcam on a website. Both streaming and static image. Any
    >> suggestions for:

    > see http://mindprod.com/products1.html#NETWORKCAM
    > it is free, open source.

    Thanks.
    Right now I'm producing kluged demos to impress the impressible. But
    having got that out the way I'll do it properly:)

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Mar 20, 2009
  11. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Knute Johnson wrote:
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >>> That would be JMC - Java Media Components
    >>> in Java 7.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Andrew T.

    >> Andrew:
    >>
    >> Have you seen anywhere recently where they say that JMC is still coming?
    >>

    > I assume then that it doesn't currently exist?
    > If so, what do people do who want to code multimedia apps?

    JMF

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2009/

    Knute Johnson, Mar 20, 2009
  12. On Mar 20, 2:43 pm, Knute Johnson <>
    wrote:
    >..
    > Have you seen anywhere recently where they say that JMC is still coming?

    No. In fact if I'd had time to read your initial post
    I'd have refrained from further comment - you seem better
    informed about JMC than I am.

    Sorry.

    --
    Andrew T.