WebClientProtocol properties

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Wes Montgomery, Sep 5, 2009.

  1. I have a .net application (non web app) which as developed using .NET 1.1
    and runs on framework v1.1.4322. The applications web proxy class
    communicates to the database (Oracle or SQL) via a web service hosted in
    IIS. A fairly straight forward architecture, you might say. Here's the
    issue. When portions of the application execute an SQL statement which takes
    awhile, I get a System.Net.WebException - Message: "The operation has
    timed-out." I know this is coming from my web proxy. I've actually issued
    the same err SQL statement directly from an exposed web service method and
    got back the XML data. Nothing I've researched seemed to resolve the issue
    except setting the web proxies timeout property either to a fixed interval
    or to infinite in code. My questions:

    1. Are there any known issues when setting the web proxies timeout
    property in this manner? Such as performance to users of the application and
    other sites hosted by IIS? Network issues etc.

    2. Are there any other solutions to resolve such an issue? I've tried
    several .config setting in both the web service, IIS and in the applications
    ..config files but to no avail.

    3. Are there any methods that can be employed to comunicate with a web
    service once the web proxy object has timed out, is there a call that can be
    made to restore comunication with the we service and continue with the
    currently running process?

    Currently we don't have the luxury of changing much of the functionality of
    the application such as the way the web proxy communicates with IIS. I'm
    hoping someone has ideas and or resources I can consult to help resolve this
    issue. IF there are further details needed to help resolve this issue,
    please contact me.

    Many Thanks.

    Wes Montgomery
    Wes Montgomery, Sep 5, 2009