webcomponent contra javaapplet

Henrik H

Hi all,,

Are there anyone who can tell me the advantage/disadvange of using a
webcontol insted of a javaapplet??

Wich of the 2 component run's fastest??

What is else the diffrerens of the 2 components???

-Or is there a other way to get data in realtime from a database??

Thanks

bruce barker

they are both simular technologies. they both require the user install a vm
first. the the .net runtime is about a 20mb download, the java download is
about the same. they both have a high startup cost on the page (slow).
webcontrols are only supported by IE on windows, java has more browser
support. you decide.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Ryan Walberg, MCSD for .NET

Henrik said:
Hi all,,

Are there anyone who can tell me the advantage/disadvange of using a
webcontol insted of a javaapplet??

Java applets run on more architectures than WebControls.
Wich of the 2 component run's fastest??

Probably the WebControl. (flame away)
What is else the diffrerens of the 2 components???

-Or is there a other way to get data in realtime from a database??

Uhhh, have your page *connect to the database*. It could automagically
refresh using <META> tags.

Henrik H

Hi Ryan, and others :eek:)

First, Thanks for yours reply..

Do you now a way to get data from a database, that does not generate a
"hole" update/refresh to the page. Only the "data-section"

-So I don't get the click-sound. -My page (or data), needs to be refreshed
every 15 secound, so I would be very happy not to have that sound 4 times a
minute :eek:)

Thanks

Ryan Walberg, MCSD for .NET

Henrik said:
Hi Ryan, and others :eek:)

First, Thanks for yours reply..

Do you now a way to get data from a database, that does not generate a
"hole" update/refresh to the page. Only the "data-section"

If you want to avoid the DB hit, put the DB section in a user control
and cache that user control.
-So I don't get the click-sound. -My page (or data), needs to be refreshed
every 15 secound, so I would be very happy not to have that sound 4 times a
minute :eek:)

If this is only to fix the click sound, use a different browser or turn
the click sound off.

Hope this helps!

Henrik H

Hi Ryan,,

That is one of the reasons, the other one is, so i don't see the page
refreash all the time,,

-I just can't say to my old and new customers, that they have to use another
browser?? Or turn of the sound... Sorry but that's not my option.

A User Control was allso one of my ideas..

But im not sure whether or not it should be a java-applet or a user control?

Thanks!!