WebControl State: ViewState or Request.Form?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Hadar, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Hadar

    Hadar Guest

    Hi,

    I'm still a little bit confused with how managing a webcontrol state over
    postbacks...
    Should I use the form's post values to populate the control on the server
    side when possible, or should I always use the viewstate mechanism?

    For instance, I noticed that the TextBox webcontrol does not depend on the
    viewstate.
    I guess it uses the form to retrieve state (the input is submited of course)
    over roundtrips...

    Also, the control should manage its state independenty.
    No matter if it is used directly by the page, or by a parent composite
    control it should save state by its own (like the TextBox webcontrol).

    Thanks,
    Hadar

    Hadar, Aug 31, 2004