Webcontrols VS 2003 install

Got it figured out finally. We had existing vs2002 web project using
webcontrols. Upgrading to vs2003 I downloaded and compiled the new
webcontrol.dll and added this to references (follow readme.txt). The
webcontrols were in VS toolbox but the vs2003 design mode for old pages, did
not show the Webcontrol Data (e.g. Treeview) and running resulted in an
error.

Noticed that Webcontrols.dll on VS2002 were in GAC but VS2003 are not (for
whatever reason).

So I had to change the assembly reference from strong named assembly, like
this (which for webcontrol in GAC but is not there)
<%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc" Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>

Changed to generic assembly reference which does not look in GAC and
copylocal=true
<%@ Register TagPrefix="iewc" Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>

This allowed the webcontrols to work on .Net 1.1 VS2003

VS2003 Design View works and runtime also.
Hope this helps