WebDAV

john bailo

just set up netbeans/jdk to work with tomcat ( newbie on all ).

i noticed that there was a WebDAV folder as well as the webapps folder and
it really confused me. i finally figured out to use the ROOT but WebDAV
got my curiosity so i looked it up and it seems to be a protocol for
'distributing web applications'.

so my question is: does anybody use it or has anybody developed web projects
for distributed use?

Xavier Tarrago

(see http://www.webdav.org/)
"WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning". It is a
set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which allows users to collaboratively
edit and manage files on remote web servers".

More or less, it is an HTTP extension for Internet file managment (like
sharing directories with MS-Windows). Upload and download files, check in
and out, manage file versions.

Jon A. Cruz

Xavier said:
(see http://www.webdav.org/)
"WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning". It is a
set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which allows users to collaboratively
edit and manage files on remote web servers".

More or less, it is an HTTP extension for Internet file managment (like
sharing directories with MS-Windows). Upload and download files, check in
and out, manage file versions.

Apple's iDisk is done using WebDAV
http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_idisk.html

WebDAV is also supported in Windows and in OS X (and of course in Linux)

So it's used for web publishing and for "internet hard drives".