webform control placement

radiolandog

I am struggling with positioning web form controls. It was suggested that I
place a table on the page - but it seems that the controls are positioned
independent from the table.

What practices will work? What should I avoid?

Thanks,
-dog

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi,

As for the webform control placement/layout question you mentioned, I think
use table is a simple and quick approach. Normally, in any html based web
page, you can structure the layout through nested tables. For example, for
a page with Header, Content, Footer section, you can use a top level table
with three rows(1cols) and if you want to further structure the Content
section, just put a nested table in the middle row.

As you mentioned that the controls are not located as the table cell they
reside, right? If so, would you provide some simple aspx/html snippet so
that we can have a look to see whether there is any other setting that
affect the controls' positioning.

Here are some web articles descrbing on html table and how to use it:

#How to use tables to structurize forms in HTML and about alternatives,
like fieldset
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/tables.html

#Web Authoring FAQ: HTML Tables
http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/tables.html

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

radiolandog

Thanks...

I was trying various methods to position the controls. I used a two column
table, relative positioning, absolute positioning, space bars...

When I cleaned out all the <style> tags in the HTML from my attempts at
using relative positioning and carefully placed the controls back in the
two-column table (with the left column right justified and the right column
left justified - I had the results I needed.

Moral of the story is to not be afraid of jumping into the HTML...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, authoring the html source is necessary in some cases. Also, when you
try structuring the page layout, do not mix different position mode. For
example, when you are using relative position and html table for structure,
you should not add controls with absolute position mode among them.
Otherwise, that will make the page layout get disorder.

From: "radiolandog" <[email protected]>