Webform Navigation

Saket Mundra

I am designing a web application to offer services to customers. In form1 I
have listed all the services available using CheckBoxlist control. I have a
different webform for customization of each of the services that is being
offered.

I want that when a user makes selection of services in the checkboxlist
control on form1, based on his selection of services he shall be redirected
to the pages for selected services one by one in the order of services
selected. Is this Possible?
If yes please guide me how shall i proceed?

Any help is appreciated.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You'll have to store the list they've selected. Perhaps you'd store it as
an arraylist in session state, although there are many other options.
Then you need a way to navigate between the selected pages in order, which
could be done fairly easily with the ASP.NET 2.0 Wizard control. If you're
not able to use ASP.NET 2.0 then you could create such a thing manually with
multiple panels on a single form and some next/back buttons.

Another, more efficient, approach would be to create a common form base
class that examines the list the user has selected and directs the user to
the appropriate page based on their current place within the list.

Saket Mundra

Thank you for your help Steve.
I am storing the options selected by user in a database table.
I am using ASP.Net 1.1 so I cannot use the wizard control. If there is any
way I can use it with ASP.Net 1.1 please let me know.

However, I would request you to kindly explain how to create it manually
using muliple panes?

Also kindly explain about the comoon form base class you have mentioned. How
does it work and how do i create it?

I am a student and new to this and stuck up in my final year project. Please
help.
--
Thank You.

Saket Mundra

Steve C. Orr said:
You'll have to store the list they've selected. Perhaps you'd store it as
an arraylist in session state, although there are many other options.
Then you need a way to navigate between the selected pages in order, which
could be done fairly easily with the ASP.NET 2.0 Wizard control. If you're
not able to use ASP.NET 2.0 then you could create such a thing manually with
multiple panels on a single form and some next/back buttons.

Another, more efficient, approach would be to create a common form base
class that examines the list the user has selected and directs the user to
the appropriate page based on their current place within the list.

Saket Mundra

Thank you for your response Steve. I am storing user's selection in a
database table. I am using ASP.net 1.1 hence cannot use wizard control.

I would request you to please explain how to create such a control manually.

I would also request you to please elaborate on creating a common form base
class. how does it work and how to go about it?

Please help. I am a final year student and stuck up in my project due to
this.
--
Thank You.

Saket Mundra