WebForm Organisation

Noozster

Hi,

I'm confused with ASP's WebForms and would like some advice.

I explain better with an example:

I have a travel system where you create a booking by entering your email,
telephone number, etc into a form and once submitted a 'booking' object is
created in the current session with a unique reference associated with it
for use later.

Then you add in your travellers, accommodation (there are 3 types of
accommodation with different forms for each), car hire details, flights,etc.
because of the Add/Remove etc you can add as many of each object as you
like.

All in all there are about 9 possible forms to fill in.

To manage these forms I've put them all in one ASPX page called
booking.aspx. Each form is in its own panel and I've hidden all the panels
apart from the one the user needs to fill in. So if someone clicks 'Add
traveller' the traveller form is shown, all others are hidden.

Is this the best way to do it or is there an easier way? Its taken me ages
just to do this part and there is no facility to edit the data once its
entered (which is really annoying my users :eek:) ) I've completed this
project but need to upgrade it to a more efficient version with an edit
facility and auto form population

I'm using ASP 1.1, IIS on a Win2K3-SP1 server, VS2003

Thank you very much for any help,
Graeme

Guest

I'm no expert but I think the gist of what you've done is correct. One
extension you might want to add is putting each of the "panels" into a user
control. This will basically gain you two things:
1) You only have to deal with the logic for a panel and in one place. Right
now it's mixed in with the logic for the other panels and the screen
navigation.
2) You can reuse the panels. Say you want to create edit screens, add
screens, and who know's based on permissions even a view screen or delete
confirmation screen.