    "default.aspx?"

    Thanks,
    Ted Apollo

    Ted Apollo, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Ted Apollo

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Ted Apollo wrote:
    > When I develop my ASP.NET 1.1 application locally, the default form is
    > always "WebForm1.aspx." However, when I post the same application to
    > a web server, the default becomes "default.aspx."
    >
    > Why is this and how can I change the default from "WebForm1.aspx" to
    > "default.aspx?"

    WebForm1.aspx is simply the first page of a web project and thus set to be
    start page as far as VS .NET is concerned. default.aspx is a true start page
    (i.e. invoked when there's no file specified in the URI). This is an IIS
    setting and can be edited to include any other name you want.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss

    Joerg Jooss, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Ted Apollo

    Ted Apollo Guest

    Thanks, Joerg

    Two follow-up questions though. Can the default first page of a web project
    in VS.NET be changed to "default.aspx" instead of "WebForm1.aspx?"

    Also, regarding IIS, could you tell me how to set the default page?

    Thanks again,
    Ted Apollo

    Ted Apollo, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Ted Apollo

    Ben Lovell Guest

    Hi,

    AFAIK you can't specify the default page name for new pages in VS.NET.
    To alter your default page in IIS, go to the properties for your application
    or virtual directory, and choose the 'Documents' tab. You will see the
    default document settings with which you can add or remove documents and
    reorder them for priority.

    --
    Ben
    http://bitarray.co.uk/ben

    Ben Lovell, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Ted Apollo

    Ted Apollo Guest

    Got it. Thanks!

    Ted Apollo

    Ted Apollo, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Ted Apollo

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Ted Apollo wrote:
    > Thanks, Joerg
    >
    > Two follow-up questions though. Can the default first page of a web
    > project in VS.NET be changed to "default.aspx" instead of
    > "WebForm1.aspx?"

    I'm not sure. Maybe if you mess around with its project templates. What I
    normally do is delete WebForm1.aspx and create a new one with a proper
    name -- this is faster than renaming both the file and the code-behind
    class. I do the same in the Windows Forms designer as well.

    > Also, regarding IIS, could you tell me how to set the default page?

    See Ben's reply.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss