WebForm_PostBackOptions Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brad, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Per one of Microsoft's conversion suggestions (MSDN step by step guide to
    converting web projects) we have configured our test web servers to run
    ASP.NET apps using 2.0.....but we are still developing the apps in VS2003/
    ASP.Net 1.1.

    Though I've found this isn't quite the "quick switch" one is lead to believe
    I've managed to work through all issues...but one. The one problem is that
    on clicking a post back button I'm getting the error:
    "WebForm_PostBackOptions is undefined".
    The button works, and I still get the postback, but I get the above error
    before the postback.

    After googling the problem I have checked a few things.
    -- This is happening on multiple web servers so it's not an isolated machine
    issue.
    -- We are not using any type of http / html compression.
    -- The webresource.axd file in the html source of one app scenario is as
    follows (the app locaiton is under http://Staging/Parks)
    <script
    src="/Parks/WebResource.axd?d=_oXdTc3t5DrUiza5HLkqig2&amp;t=632687833518115886"
    type="text/javascript"></script>
    -- This only seems to happen (so far) once per browser session for the web
    app. The error does not reappear until I open a new browser session
    (either that or my testing is not consistent).
    -- This only happens on the web servers (W2k3 IIS6). If I map IIS on my
    local box (also W2k3 IIS6) to use ASP.NET 2, I cannot duplicate the
    problem.

    Again this is a VS2003 .Net 1.1 application deployed to web servers mapped
    to use 2.0

    FYI - for those reading the other issue I found and worked around has to do
    with 1.1 3rd party callback controls. I was getting event validation
    errors and worked aorund this by using the new config setting <pages
    enableEventValidation="false"/>

    Brad
    Brad, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for your posting!

    After my research, I think this is caused by known issue for ASP.NET v2.0.
    Below is work around:
    - Always include the WebForms.js file. This is a big rendering change.
    - Modify all of our controls that may need it so that they ask for the
    WebForms.js file to be rendered during PreRender. This solves the problem
    for our controls (with a smaller rendering change), does not include the
    file when unnecessary (most of the time, some cases can't be predicted that
    early) but third party controls would need to do the same.

    If the problem still occurs, I suggest you send a simple project as zip
    format to me. It'll help me to repro and do some feather research. Thanks
    for your understanding! My alias is (remove
    .online).

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support
    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Dec 21, 2005

  3. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Yuan -
    If I may follow up:
    (1) This is a VS2003 / ASP.NET 1.1 code I am deploying (server just runs it
    as 2.0). The googling I've done on WebForms.JS all refer to code change I
    would make in 2.0 for embeded resource. Can I change 1.1 code, and if so
    what do I add/change in 1.1. code? Or am I out of luck until I upgrade the
    app to 2.0?

    (2) Why does this error occur on the server but not on my pc? Both are
    win2k3, IIS6, have the same version of 1.1 and 2.0 frameworks installed (and
    I don't have VS2005 installed). Should something like this not consistently
    work, or fail, on any pc?

    Brad

    Brad, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for your reply!

    I'm sorry to a little confuse with your current issue. If your web
    application runs under the ASP.NET 2.0 environment, the web site has been
    upgraded from ASP.NET 1.1. Since you develop the project in ASP.NET 1.0,
    the project remains be upgraded when it runs under the ASP.NET 2.0
    environment.

    >" The googling I've done on WebForms.JS all refer to code change I would

    make in 2.0 for embeded resource."
    As previous reply, you do not need make it to embedded resource, but
    include the WebForms.js file to ASPX page.

    >"Why does this error occur on the server but not on my pc? Both are

    win2k3, IIS6, have the same version of 1.1 and 2.0 frameworks installed
    (and I don't have VS2005 installed). Should something like this not
    consistently work, or fail, on any pc?"
    Is it always occurred on the server? Do you mean the problem occurred when
    you using server machine to access locally, but it works fine when using
    client pc to access?

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support
    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Dec 26, 2005
  5. Yuan,
    I have a similar error that arose only after converting a 1.1 application to
    2.0.

    > Always include the WebForms.js file

    Can you be a bit more specific? What syntax, and what file?
    I already have "using System.Web;" in my C# code behind file. Should that be
    enough, given WebForms.js which is now a resource inside System.Web.dll? Do I
    need something in the .aspx file? An additional Import statement?

    Thanks for your help!

    =?Utf-8?B?UmljaA==?=, Jan 10, 2006
  6. Brad

    ahikiran

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hi there,

    did you get a reply from the MSFT guy?

    I had the exact same question about the syntax and which file to include/import.

    the Webforms.js file is supposedly embedded inside a dll and does not require to be separately included. But if Yuan says it has to be included, I want to know how, and the syntax.

    Thanks
    ahikiran, Aug 21, 2007