"WebForm_PostBackOptions undefined" when posting page with validat

Rich Armstrong

We've migrated our web application to ASP.NET 2.0 (Release Candidate), and
now any page with a validator (e.g., asp:RequiredFieldValidator) puts up a
Javascript error when the user clicks OK, Save, etc. (any validating button).
The error complains that WebForm_PostBackOptions is undefined. The pages are
small -- they load very quickly, particularly over our intranet -- so it's
not an issue of waiting for all of the scripts to load.

Removing the validators cures the problem; also, the problem occurs
consistently on every platform we use (Win2K, Win2K3, WinXP). The misbehavior
is similar to a bug reported in community feedback (FDBK25871) against beta
2, but the response to that bug suggests that it would be fixed in the
release candidate.

Any idea how to get around this?

Kevin Yu [MSFT]

Hi rich,

We have reviewed this issue and are currently researching on it. We will
update you ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Kevin Yu
=======
rights."

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your posting.
Regarding on the problem you described, does it occur even on a simple page
which just use some textbox with RequiredFieldValidator (after migrating
from 1.x to 2.0 RC)? If so, I think we can build another page which have
the same content and creating it in RC environment (it should works), and
then compare the final outputed clientside page source in client browser
to see whether there're any difference between them, that should be the
cause of the problem.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmljaCBBcm1zdHJvbmc=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: "WebForm_PostBackOptions undefined" when posting page with
validat
| Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:39:21 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| We've migrated our web application to ASP.NET 2.0 (Release Candidate),
and
| now any page with a validator (e.g., asp:RequiredFieldValidator) puts up
| Javascript error when the user clicks OK, Save, etc. (any validating
button).
| The error complains that WebForm_PostBackOptions is undefined. The pages
are
| small -- they load very quickly, particularly over our intranet -- so
it's
| not an issue of waiting for all of the scripts to load.
|
| Removing the validators cures the problem; also, the problem occurs
| consistently on every platform we use (Win2K, Win2K3, WinXP). The
misbehavior
| is similar to a bug reported in community feedback (FDBK25871) against
beta
| 2, but the response to that bug suggests that it would be fixed in the
| release candidate.
|
| Any idea how to get around this?
|
| --
| Rich Armstrong

Rich Armstrong

Thanks Steven. I'd already done pretty much what you suggest: I created a new
page w/only a text box, a button, and a validator. It produced the same
JavaScript error I'd been seeing, so I looked at the HTML souce and found the
<script> tag that references WebResource.axd. I pasted that URL into my
browser and, voilà: an exception that I'd never seen before!

Our application sets the thread's CurrentCulture and CurrentUICulture in
Global.asax.cs (in Application_PreRequestHandlerExecute) using a value from
the Session state. Apparently, the Session object isn't valid at this point
when the WebResource.axd request is being handled, but something eats the
exception during "normal" (.aspx) page processing, so we'd never seen it
until now. The logic for that event now deals with a null Session object, so
everything's working now.

Sorry I didn't figure this out sooner. I had thought that the new
embedded-resource HTTP handler got involved only for programmer-defined
resources -- I've learned something.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Rich,

Glad that you've figured out the problem. Yes, somethings some hidden
problem will lead to other explicit errors and that will be hard for us to
directly address the root cause from surface. Anyway, if there're any
further things we can help in the furture, please feel free to post here.

> [...]

| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?UmljaCBBcm1zdHJvbmc=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: "WebForm_PostBackOptions undefined" when posting page with
| > validat
| > | Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:39:21 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
| > | Javascript error when the user clicks OK, Save, etc. (any validating
| > button).
| > | The error complains that WebForm_PostBackOptions is undefined. The
pages
| > are
| > | small -- they load very quickly, particularly over our intranet -- so
| > it's
| > | not an issue of waiting for all of the scripts to load.
| > |
| > | Removing the validators cures the problem; also, the problem occurs
| > | consistently on every platform we use (Win2K, Win2K3, WinXP). The
| > misbehavior
| > | is similar to a bug reported in community feedback (FDBK25871)
against
| > beta
| > | 2, but the response to that bug suggests that it would be fixed in
the
| > | release candidate.
| > |
| > | Any idea how to get around this?