WebGarden and Viewstate

MattB

I have a asp.net 1.1 application that a client is running at a hosting
company. The hosting company has WebGarden = 1 on that machine's
machine.config, and we get the following error in the application:
System.Web.HttpException: Invalid_Viewstate.
The solutions I've seen by googling this suggest changing things in the
machine.config, but I don't have access to that. What could I change (if
anything) in the web.config to address this?
Thanks!

Matt

MattB

Well, no I guess I'm not sure.

I thought that a multi-cpu machine with WebGarden = true made a single
server behave sort of like a web farm. And from what I've read, when
running from a web farm, you need to take steps to synchronize your
encoding/decoding keys or you can get this error. So I was extrapolating
a little, but I thought this might be the cause of the errors.

Are you sure it wouldn't cause them? The application is deployed in
maybe a dozen different places and this is the only one reporting this
problem. I emailed the hosting company and they say it's not a web farm,
but it is a multi-cpu server with WebGarden = true.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and if so do you have any
suggestions as to what might be the cause?

I _really_ appreciate the response. I'm a little under the gun to solve
this. Thanks!

Matt

Alvin Bruney

These issues are likely not related. Your analogy is correct except that
machine keys are machine specific so that the effect would be applied to
everything running on the box.

For viewstate issues in 1.1, read this see if it helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555353
--

Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]