    Does anybody know how to accomplish this not using SQLServer or Stateserver?

    thanks in advance,
    --yves

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJCeXRlcw==?=, Nov 16, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RHJCeXRlcw==?=

    John M Deal Guest

    There is two separate processes, two separate sessions, and two separate
    application objects. We learned this the hard way. If you want keep a
    single machine from having user experience anomalies do yourself a favor
    and at least setup StateServer on the same machine as the website.
    You'll take a hit for crossing the processes but by placing it on the
    same machine you won't have to take the hit of going to the network. The
    performance hit is not severe unless you are trying to serialize huge
    amounts of data. The biggest issue involved is usually related to
    rewriting any non-serializable objects so that they can be serialized
    across the process boundary (both SQLServer and StateServer require
    that). Sorry the news isn't better.

    Of course there is always the option of disabling webgardens for the
    website and running multiple machines to get the same performance boost,
    but then you have to deal with webfarm setup, sticky IP management,
    and/or the same session management issues.

    Have A Better One!

    John M Deal, MCP
    Necessity Software

    John M Deal, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Thank for the answer John.
    Too bad that I have to install stateserver just to share the Session.

    Are there other ways around this? For instance, returning the Session to the
    correct CPU during postbacks, etc?
    This way I can have the bi CPU setup but not lose the session..

    Thanks,

    --yves

    =?Utf-8?B?RHJCeXRlcw==?=, Nov 16, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RHJCeXRlcw==?=

    John M Deal Guest

    We tried to find information on "sticky cpu" and weren't able to. We
    brought this to our sys admins and they weren't able to either, nor were
    they willing to user a support item to get an answer from Microsoft
    given that StateServer gave us a way around the issue. We ended up
    going with StateServer as our fall back.

    You may want to take the question of whether or not you can do this to
    an IIS user group and see if anyone there knows. Sorry I couldn't help
    further on this.

    John M Deal, MCP
    Necessity Software

    John M Deal, Nov 16, 2004