webmail

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Graham, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    Hi
    Never had any cause to use webmail - always been pop3 via Outlook Express. I
    have had a couple of contacts that are ending in @aol.com and another guy
    who verbally gave me his details which I scribbled down on some scrap paper,
    I think he said there was no @ in his email address because it is internet
    based, it just ends in msn.com

    1. Is the first email address above webmail? - it doesn't get through using
    Outlook Express
    2. Do I have to sign up somewhere with msn in order to email the second
    address above and then do I do it via any browser?
    3. If I sign up with msn do I then have the ability to email any type of
    webmail? (incl. Hotmail, Yahoo, etc)

    Sorry to ask such newbie type stuff but I'm sure there will be others out
    there who don't know this webmail thingy very well either - internet fails
    to give me a clear explanation about webmail - any good places to visit?

    regards
    David Graham

    David Graham, Nov 13, 2006

  2. David Graham

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Never had any cause to use webmail - always been pop3 via Outlook Express.
    > have had a couple of contacts that are ending in @aol.com and another guy
    > who verbally gave me his details which I scribbled down on some scrap
    > paper,
    > I think he said there was no @ in his email address because it is internet
    > based, it just ends in msn.com
    >
    > 1. Is the first email address above webmail? - it doesn't get through
    > using
    > Outlook Express
    > 2. Do I have to sign up somewhere with msn in order to email the second
    > address above and then do I do it via any browser?
    > 3. If I sign up with msn do I then have the ability to email any type of
    > webmail? (incl. Hotmail, Yahoo, etc)

    I've never seen an email address without an @ in it. Nor do I think this
    could ever be valid - because the @ symbol separates the domain from the
    username (username@domain). Without the @ symbol no email system would know
    where to send the email.

    What the chap probably meant is that he didn't know his email address. If
    you work in an office and use exchange then internal emails are normally
    sent with just the username specified. If he uses a web-mail account then
    this might be just an extension to an office system and he doesn't know his
    real email address. If you have his contact details (phone number for
    instance) then ask him to email you - that way you will get his correct
    email.

    The other possibility is that he didn't know how to pronounce "@" - its
    pronounced "at". If his email ends with "msn.com" then I suspect (but I
    don't have an msn address so someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that this
    email is . Hopefully from that you can make an educated
    guess.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Nov 13, 2006

  3. David Graham

    Tina Peters Guest

    > Hi
    > Never had any cause to use webmail - always been pop3 via Outlook Express.
    > have had a couple of contacts that are ending in @aol.com and another guy
    > who verbally gave me his details which I scribbled down on some scrap
    > paper,
    > I think he said there was no @ in his email address because it is internet
    > based, it just ends in msn.com
    >
    > 1. Is the first email address above webmail? - it doesn't get through
    > using
    > Outlook Express
    > 2. Do I have to sign up somewhere with msn in order to email the second
    > address above and then do I do it via any browser?
    > 3. If I sign up with msn do I then have the ability to email any type of
    > webmail? (incl. Hotmail, Yahoo, etc)

    Email is email, whether you use Outlook or Webmail. Webmail is just a
    different way of sending/receiving. It all still works basically the same
    way.

    1. No, its AOL email and AOL is notorious for blocking incoming email they
    deem "spam".
    2. No.
    3. No.

    PS: ALL email addresses have an @ in them. The guy probably doesn't know
    his email address. Ask him what his MSN username is and then stick an
    @msn.com on the end. That's probably a decent guess as to what his email
    address is. Another option would be to have him send you an email. Then
    you could simply reply to his email (and you'd also then get to see what it
    is).

    --Tina
    --
    Tina Peters
    AxisHOST.com, Inc.

    Tina Peters, Nov 13, 2006
  4. David Graham

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Tina Peters wrote:
    > PS: ALL email addresses have an @ in them.

    All RFC-822-based internet email addresses have a "@" in them. This
    isn't all "email" though.

    There are plenty of in-company email systems around that don't need or
    use "@". You can even represent an internet email address (with a "@")
    using an old format like X400 and represent it correctly without using
    a "@" character. So the email address you need will almost certainly
    have a "@" in it, but it's still possible (especially dealing with
    European politicians, IMHE) that they can equally well have a business
    card that doesn't show you this "@" character.

    If you deal with inexperienced people who have only ever used AOL or
    MSN (especially AOL) then they can be genuinely unaware of the
    difference between the "internet" and AOL. They think their email
    address is "fred123" when actually it's ""

    Andy Dingley, Nov 13, 2006