    data from server. I don't see any refresh meta tag either. So could anyone
    enlighten me how it is done with MSN web messenger?

    Thanks in advance

    CW, Sep 22, 2004

  2. CW

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    It's a desktop based app that calls ASPX pages within in for the ads and
    such.
    ASP/ASP.NET are not really a good choice here for the reasons you specified.
    The headaches wont be worth the payoff

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Sep 22, 2004

  3. CW

    CW Guest

    Curt

    I think you have confused what I am after. If you go to
    webmessenger.msn.com, you will notice that it will load an web based chat
    application. This is different from the desktop version of MSN Messenger,
    though with pretty much all of the functions of the desktop version. The web
    client seems to be implemented in web forms. If it is calling some desktop
    APIs, it would need to install some sort of ActiveX component which would
    require my permission. I am not referring to the ad window on the desktop
    version of MSN Messenger.

    I hope this clears up my question.

    Regards

    CW

    CW, Sep 22, 2004
  4. CW

    bruce barker Guest

    it uses javascript and a hidden frame to poll a webserver

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 22, 2004
  5. CW

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Can't help ya, that site wont load with a popup blocker installed but
    basically there has to be either a META REFRESH or some sort of thing
    happening to autopostback if it's ASPX.

    Curt_C [MVP], Sep 22, 2004
  6. Hi CW,

    As for the MSN Web Messager's communication with serverside, I'm also not
    sure the actual internal details. But generally, in browser based web
    applications, there are serveral means to silently post back to server side
    so as to refresh the page state:
    1. Use a Hidden Frame(or iframe) as Bruce has mentioned, when we use a
    hidden frame(height and width set to 1 which can't visiable), we can
    constantly post back the frame's containing page so that prevent the end
    user notice the whole web page's refreshing. Many page basd web chatting
    room use this approach.

    2. Use the MSXML components, they are the COM components buildin on the
    OS. We can call them to post data to webserver and retrieve back response
    (using client side script). And the IE WebService behavior( the HTC
    componetns helps to call webservice in IE via client script) is also based
    on this:

    #WebService Behavior
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/webservic
    e/webservice.asp