Webmethod is sometimes executed twice, after one request

Ed Sonneveld

Hi,

I have hosted my webservice at a hosting company and it has been working
fine for 2 years now. The webservice is called by winforms clients over the
internet, using the proxy class generated by visual studio.

What I do not understand, however, is that sometimes (say 1% of all calls)
are being executed twice on the server side. I notice that because each call
makes an entry in the database. This problem has been around as long as the
webservice exists.

I am sure the webservice is not called twice in the code of the winforms
client. The calling code is very staightforward.

It is important that the webmethods are not executed more than once after
one request, because there are some costs involved for the users of the
application.

Has someone seen this before? Does anyone have a hunch what might be causing
this? Configuration of the webservice, proxy class, IIS etc? Or is it
normal?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ed