WebPart connections and sequence of communication

Guest

Hi

I am trying to develop WebParts that will interact with each other to make
up a highly customizable "system", but I am having trouble with the order in
which the webparts connect and communicate.

If you have a WebPart that is both consumer and provider it is most likely
the "middle" component in your communication: It receives a value from it's
provider, uses this value for some purpose, and sends it's own value on to
the consumer for which it is provider. But with IWebPartField the events fire
in the reverse order. The latter WebPart requests the value before the
"middle" WebPart has recievied its value and made itself ready for sending
its own value as the provider.

A more practical example:
I want to pass a customerID from the first webpart to the second, which
again will look up the customers contact list and pass on the contactID of
those contacts to the third webpart.

WP1:customerID --> WP2:contactIDs --> WP3:displayContacts

The problem is the order in which the connections calls the webparts. I want
WP2 to retrieve the customerID from WP1, then have WP3 retrieve contactIDs
from WP2 and display them. But they fire in reverse order... First WP3 gets
the contactIDs from WP2, even before WP2 has received the customerID to look
up the contactIDs. Then WP2 gets the customerID, but now its no use as WP3
will never get the right value in time.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Guest

I'm bumping this thread, hope noone gets offended.

So not any of you ASP'ers have ever tried this? Even if you didn't find a
solution it would be nice to know someone else was also having the same idea.

Guest

I've been getting indications that suggest the sequence in which they
communicate is decided by the same sequence in which they are connected at
runtime. Thus you can control it by connecting them in the order in which you
want them to communicate.

This could get problematic if the end user connecting them isn't aware of
this. So it would be preferable to be able to somehow code this in the
webparts.

Anyone have any suggestions?