WebParts for Content Management

dotnetstevo

I have a question relating to WebParts implementation - I am trying to
build a web part as a user control that can be used to manage content
in a CMS. I have read a lot about the creation of web parts, editing
web part properties etc, but I am struggling to find a straightforward
solution - I was hoping that someone out there could shed some light.

It is really straightforward application: A Label should display
content, and the content should be editable in line by using a textbox.
In the long term we need to incorporate an HTML editor so that the
format of the text can be changed. But in the meantime I just need a
way of editing the Text of this label. Should it be done by having the
Text as a property of the user control and then editing the text by
using a Custom Editor Grid to change the value? Using this method is it
possible to edit inline?

The only way I have seen of editing properties inline is from the
microsoft asp.net quickstart tutorials, where they add a display mode
and use a MultiView to display the Label or the Textbox according to
the display mode currently selected:
http://www.asp.net/QuickStart/aspnet/doc/webparts/displaymodes.aspx

However, I would like to have a custom verb "Edit Content" in each user
control so that the user can edit one section at a time.

Also, given that this is a CMS where only one adminsitrator will be
editing and configuring the site, should the content of the webparts
modules be stored as a string in the personalisation provider database
or does it make more sense to have the data reside in the CMS database
that will be used to store the Channels, Pages, etc...?